James F. Humphreys
Top rated Class Action & Mass Torts attorney in Charleston, West VirginiaJames F. Humphreys & Associates, L.C.
Attorney James F. Humphreys has been obtaining outstanding results for injured people and grieving families in West Virginia and other parts of the U.S. for over 40 years. His Charleston-based law firm, James F. Humphreys & Associates L.C., provides both legal counsel and compassionate support to its clients while fighting for the compensation they deserve. James F. Humphreys & Associates has represented over 15,000 clients in mass trials before West Virginia courts and has negotiated mass settlements, or participated in the negotiation of mass settlements, that exceed one-quarter billion dollars.
James F. Humphreys & Associates has extensive experience in cases that hold employers, corporations and manufacturers liable for negligence. The firm focuses on handling cases involving occupational injuries and diseases caused by exposure to asbestos (mesothelioma and lung cancer), railroad injuries (Federal Employer's Liability Act (FELA) claims), injuries and deaths caused by defective medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs, and injuries and illnesses resulting from environmental pollution. James F. Humphreys & Associates’ strong track record of success in these and other matters is the direct result of thorough preparation, dedication and aggressive advocacy.
The attorneys at James F. Humphreys & Associates are licensed to practice in West Virginia, Ohio and Washington, D.C. and are affiliated with the American Association for Justice and West Virginia Association for Justice.
In 2009, James was recognized as one of West Virginia's Top 100 Trial Lawyers. He and his firm are one of the top 75 plaintiff firms in the country by a survey of defense law firms. He holds the prestigious AV rating from his peers, the highest award possible for legal skill and integrity.
James F. Humphreys previously served on the board of trustees for Brandeis University and the board of trustees of The George Washington University. He is also the founder of The Humphreys Center for Complex Litigation at the The George Washington University School of Law, as well as scholarships at George Washington University and West Virginia University.
Prior to starting his practice, James F. Humphreys served in the West Virginia House of Delegates as chairman of the Constitutional Revision Committee and in the West Virginia Senate as chair of the Judiciary Committee. He is also a two-time recipient of the West Virginia Association of Justice Legislator of Year Award
He was also formerly employed by United States Senator John Glenn in the United States Senate and Ralph Nader with consumer protection group Public Citizen and the civil rights organization Southern Regional Council.
James F. Humphreys earned his bachelor's degree from West Virginia University and his law degree from The George Washington University National Law Center. He also holds advanced degrees from both Princeton University and Ohio State University.
Practice areasClass Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff, Environmental, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Asbestos, Brain Injury, Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- 80% Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- 10% Environmental
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, West Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://jfhumphreys.com/firm-overview/jim-humphreys/
- Former Chairman Board of Directors, Brain Injury Association of America
- Former Board of Trustees, Brandeis University
- Board of Directors, Public Justice Foundation
- Former Global Board, Washington National Opera
- Board of Advisors, George Washington University School of Law
- Former Board of Directors, Thomas Memorial Hospital Foundation
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers in West Virginia, 2009
- George Washington University Benefactor Award
- Philanthropist of the Year Award Recipient, Thomas Memorial Hospital Foundation
- West Virginia State University President’s Circle
- Dean’s Circle and Second Century Award Recipient, West Virginia State University
- George Washington University Distinguished Alumni
- West Virginia Association of Justice Legislator of Year Award (twice)
- Member, WV Legislature 1983-1995, twice selected as Legislator of the Year.
- Ohio State University, M.A., 1970
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, A.B., 1969
- Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, M.P.A., 1972
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia, 1979
- West Virginia, 1979
- Member, Law and Medicine Committee WV State Bar.
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1980
Office location for James F. Humphreys
112 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301
- Super Lawyers: 2011