John D. Hurst
Top rated Class Action & Mass Torts attorney in Morgantown, West VirginiaMotley Rice
Practice Areas: Class Action & Mass Torts, Products Liability
Licensed in West Virginia since: 2008
Education: University of North Carolina School of Law
John Hurst works to hold corporations accountable for the harm they do to individuals and society, developing and executing case strategies in toxic tort, occupational disease, chemical flavoring, catastrophic injury, medical device and product liability cases.
John represents workers and their family members injured by occupational, environmental or household exposure to asbestos, including numerous mesothelioma victims. A central member of the West Virginia team, he also manages large, complex multi-party litigation and works extensively in federal, state, and bankruptcy court at both trial and appellate levels. John litigates legal issues under product, premises, and employer liability theories.
John represents merchant mariners with Jones Act claims against their shipowner employers in the federal asbestos MDL-875 and in the Northern District of Ohio and has presented on this topic. In 2014, John was a key member of a trial team that obtained a compensatory and punitive damages verdict in Massachusetts federal court against a manufacturer of asbestos-containing fireproofing.
Recognized as an AV® rated attorney Martindale-Hubbell®, John’s experience goes beyond occupational disease litigation. He represented victims of a 2009 explosion at the ConAgra facility in Garner, N.C., and negotiated the resolution of those claims against industrial contractors.
John published the first academic analysis of credit counseling agencies, “Protecting Consumers from Consumer Credit Counseling,” 9 N.C. Banking Inst. 159 (2005), and co-authored “Premises Liability Update: Employee Cases,” for Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation, (March 9-11, 2009), and “The Changing Landscape of Single Sex Education,” School Law Bulletin (2006).
* Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
First Admitted: 2006, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.motleyrice.com/attorneys/john-d-hurst
- Licensed In: NC, PA, SC, WV Admitted to Practice Before: U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina, Northern District of Ohio, District of South Carolina, and the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- J.D., University of North Carolina, School of Law, 2006; B.A. highest distinction, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 2002
- Charleston County Bar Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2021