Keith A. Belzer
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in La Crosse, WI
- Free Consultation
Keith A. Belzer is an attorney with Johns, Flaherty and Collins, located in La Crosse, Wisconsin. As a trial attorney, Mr. Belzer handles cases involving criminal defense of all types.
As a faculty member of the National Criminal Defense College in Macon, Georgia, and a member of the Wisconsin Trial Skills Academy, Mr. Belzer is a frequent lecturer on criminal defense issues and trial techniques. In addition to national appointments, he has presented to legal authorities and public defenders in Israel, Puerto Rico and The People's Republic of China.
Some of his more notable successes include a $5.4 million civil rights verdict in Lawson v. Trowbridge, et al., and his work with the Gideon Initiative in Israel. His firm is also famous for its success in the retrial and exoneration of Evan Zimmerman, a previously convicted felon, whose story was the subject of a feature-length documentary aired on national television.
Mr. Belzer received his law degree from the Loyola University of Chicago School of Law in 1992. Previous to that, he worked for nearly a decade in the theater industry as an actor, director and playwright.
- 100%Criminal Defense
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Overdrawn Bank Account, Parole, Probation, Prosecution, Sex Offenses, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2021
About Keith A. Belzer
First Admitted: 1992, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: http://www.dbsjustice.com/LaCrosse-criminal-defense-attorney...
Pro bono/Community Service
- Sentencing Strategies Committee - La Crosse Couny Board
- Community Advisory Board - Unified Family Court Project
- Board President - Coulee Region Mediation and Restorative Justice
- Wisconsin Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Gideon Initiative. Advised Israeli government on developing and implementing a trial skills program for Israeli public defenders.
- Partner: Devanie, Belzer & Schroeder S.C.
- Board of Directors - Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- State Public Defender: 1992-2000
- Actor, Director Playwright: Chicago, Illinois, 1985-1992
- Wisconsin, 1992
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2001
- La Crosse Regional Training Coordinator: 1997-2000
- Passell for Judge Campaign. Media consultant in successful campaign
- Member, Wisconsin State Bar, 1992
- La Crosse County Bar Association
- Assistant to the Training Director: 1999-2000
- Lawson v. Trowbridge, et al. Resulted in a $5.4 million civil rights verdict
- United States District Court, District of Puerto Rico
- Pima County Public Defender, Tucson, Arizona
- Missouri State Public Defender
- Wisconsin State Bar
- Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- La Crosse Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- University of Wisconsin Law School
- Marquette Law School
- Viterbo University
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- Knox College
- Peoples Republic of China
- National Criminal Defense College: Trial Skills College
- National Criminal Defense College: Advanced Cross-Examination
- National Criminal Defense College: Theories and Themes
- Knox College, Bachelor of Arts, 1985
- Leaders in the Law Award, Wisconsin Law Journal, 2006
- Dedicated Service Award: Wisconsin State Public Defender, 1996
- Leadership and Service Award: Loyola University Law School, 1992
Last Updated: 5/15/2022