Claire Ann Richman
Top Rated Bankruptcy Attorney in Madison, WI
As a partner in Steinhilber Swanson LLP’s bankruptcy and insolvency group, Claire Ann Richman handles cases of consumer and commercial bankruptcy and insolvency, litigation, debt collection, contract disputes and real estate. Located in Madison, Wisconsin, she is a popular lecturer on issues related to bankruptcy for Lorman Education Services, the National Business Institute, the University of Wisconsin Law School, the American Conference Institute, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the United States Trustee Training Program.
A graduate of Marquette University, Ms. Richman earned a Bachelor of Arts with a major in education in 1987. She then attended the University of Wisconsin Law School to obtain a Juris Doctor in 1993. She has published works for the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees journal and is admitted to practice in Wisconsin state courts, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the U.S. District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Wisconsin.
Ms. Richman is a past chair of the State Bar of Wisconsin Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights section. A former member of the board of directors of the American Bankruptcy Institute, she is also a member of the Dane County Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
For several years, Ms. Richman served on the United States Trustee Program Chapter 7 bankruptcy panel. She represents a wide range of clients, including tenants, landlords, investors, creditors, debtors and creditors’ committees.
Ms. Richman is a debt relief agent. She helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
- 60%Bankruptcy: Business
- 30%Business Litigation
Bankruptcy Law, Contracts
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2012, 2020 - 2021
About Claire Ann Richman
First Admitted: 1993, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: https://www.steinhilberswanson.com/Our-People/Claire-A-Resop...
- Selected annually since 2005 for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Selected as one of the Top 25 Women Super Lawyers in Wisconsin, 2005
- State Bar of Wisconsin Bankruptcy, Member
- Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2002
- Dane County Bar Association, Member
- Western District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Bar , Secretary
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Past Board of Directors
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1993
- American Bar Association, Member
- Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights Section, Past Chair
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2002
- Marquette University, B.A., Major: Education, 1987
- choosing the right bankruptcy chapter, Presenter, The Small Business Debtor: Choosing the Right Chapter (11, 12, or 13), Legal Education Institute of Colorado State Bar, Bankruptcy, 2019
- bankruptcy ethics, Presenter, Bankruptcy Ethics Issue, University of Wisconsin Law School Seminar, Bankruptcy
- Disclosure of bias, Benefit to the Estate, and Civility, Presenter, Professional Fees & Benefit to the Estate/Related Ethics Topics, Western District Bankruptcy Bar, Bankruptcy, Ethics, 2020
- Addressing collection issues particular to the pandemic, including the new Small Business Reorganization Act of 2019 (SBRA), Subchapter 5, CARES Act, Relief from Contract Performance, including force majeure, frustration of purpose, and Impossibility and Impracticability, and COVID-19 Court Procedures., Presenter, Bankruptcy in the Pandemic, National Association of Credit Managers, Credit and Collection, 2020
- Whether upon application to the bankruptcy court for employment, all connections should be disclosed, including those of the firm's affiliates., Debater, Conflict Disclosures of Affiliates, American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Conference, Bankruptcy, 2020
- Protection of assets in bankruptcy, Presenter, Maneuvering the Minefield of Exemption Planning, State Bar of Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section, Bankruptcy
- collections in Wisconsin, Presenter, Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Collections, Lorman Education Services and National Business Institute, Bankruptcy, Credit, Foreclosure
- Chapter 7 Trustee Ethics Issues, Presenter, Chapter 7 Trustee Ethics Issues, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees and United States Trustee Training Program, American Bankruptcy Institute, Bankruptcy
- trustee ethics, Co-Author of Quarterly Column, with Honorable Steven W. Rhodes, A Discussion of Trustee Ethics Issues, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees Journal, Bankruptcy
- Real Estate
- Times Are Hard For Creditors Too https://t.co/7fMuiEgBzp
- Should I Try Debt Relief Alternatives Before Filing For Bankruptcy? https://t.co/bLL6ddMkN1
- The Three Seasons of Farming: Planting, Harvesting and Bankruptcy? https://t.co/hIckMepx83
- Are You Ready to Stop Running in Place? https://t.co/ESOW06C7tb
- Virginia George Joins Colleagues for TMA Panel Discussion https://t.co/Zzl8e5g70T
Last Updated: 5/15/2022