Dera L. Johnsen-Tracy
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Madison, WI
A shareholder of Horn & Johnsen SC, Dera L. Johnsen-Tracy helps both individuals and business owners in Madison, Wisconsin, and the surrounding areas in protecting their assets while dealing with complex matters such as probate, trust administration and the preparation of estate planning documents, including wills, trusts and powers of attorney.
Ms. Johnsen-Tracy holds a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Concordia University Wisconsin, from which she graduated summa cum laude in 2002. While still an undergraduate, she joined the team at Krueger & Hernandez SC and worked as a paralegal at the firm for eight years, even as she pursued her Juris Doctor from Marquette University Law School. A hardworking student, Ms. Johnsen-Tracy received a CALI Award for earning the highest grade in probate procedure and was on the Dean's List while in law school.
With colleague John Horn, she co-founded her eponymous firm in June 2013. Ms. Johnsen-Tracy is licensed to practice in Wisconsin and before the U.S. District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Wisconsin. A member of the Legal Association for Women and WealthCounsel, in 2015 she was honored with the Individual Attorney Pro Bono Award by the Dane County Bar Association. She additionally holds a perfect 10.0 "Superb" rating from her peers through Avvo, the highest score possible through the organization.
Continuing her passion for education, Ms. Johnsen-Tracy served as an adjunct professor at Globe University from 2009 to 2014 and frequently speaks at conferences and seminars throughout the U.S. Her flair for writing has led to the publication of several articles and papers on subjects that include prenuptial agreements and beneficiary designations.
- Planning Essentials for Small and Modest Estates (2017)
About Dera L. Johnsen-Tracy
First Admitted: 2009
Professional Webpage: https://hornjohnsen.com/dera-johnsen/
- Presenter, 2015 Investor Conference for the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII)
- Presenter, Loopholes & Legacies: Strategies for Transferring Retirement Assets to the Next Generation, State Bar of Wisconsin, 2016
- Presenter, Avoid the Top 10 Mistakes Made with Beneficiary Designations, State Bar of Wisconsin, 2015
- Presenter, Drafting and Challenging Marital Property Agreements, State Bar of Wisconsin, 2014
- Presenter, Planning Essentials for Small and Modest Estates, State Bar Of Wisconsin, 2017
- Presenter, 2017 Investor Conference for the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII)
- Presenter, On Borrowed Time: Emergency Estate Planning, State Bar Of Wisconsin, 2018
- Presenter, 2018 Investor Conference for the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII)
- Faculty, WealthCounsel and ElderCounsel’s Symposium, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Western Districts of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern Districts of Wisconsin
- WealthCounsel, a national consortium of estate planning professionals, Member
Pro bono/Community Service
- Marquette University Law School, 2008
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, State Bar of Wisconsin, 2016
- Individual Attorney Pro Bono Award, Dane County Bar Association, 2015
- I presented "Estate Planning 101" for the Madison South Rotary Club on February 22nd. You can now catch the replay… https://t.co/8bpkZjWqKm
- Check out @DLMadison's article on page 24 in the latest issue of Young at Heart magazine: "Take Care When Leaving A… https://t.co/bkverFyysM
- What a great resource! The State Bar of Wisconsin Business Law Section has launched Small Business Assistance, a pr… https://t.co/NY7suLABPO
- Check out our latest blog post: "Leaving Assets to Your Grandchildren" https://t.co/EcRPzlBejS
- What is a “testatrix” you might ask? A testatrix is a legal term simply referring to a woman who makes a will. We h… https://t.co/nmMAAlLZu9
- Our advice is be nice to your aunts and uncles. https://t.co/KdMImTrQHN
Last Updated: 5/15/2022