Catherine A. La Fleur
Top Rated Civil Litigation Attorney in Milwaukee, WI
- Free Consultation
Attorney Catherine A. La Fleur is the founder and owner of La Fleur Law Office, S.C., in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She is a Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and certified as a collaborative divorce lawyer. Ms. La Fleur is a highly versatile attorney who represents the rights and interests of a diverse range of clients across her state who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Civil litigation
- Family law and divorce
- Family mediation
- Insurance disputes
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Landlord-tenant law
- Elder Law
Ms. La Fleur has earned a reputation for her effective mediation skills, and she has achieved notable success helping her clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements without ever having to step foot inside the courtroom. She holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell and she has consistently been recognized by her peers as being among the top attorneys in her area. She also received an induction into and serves on the board of the Wisconsin Law Foundation, and she has earned “Superb” client ratings on Avvo.
Ms. La Fleur obtained her Juris Doctor in 1988 from Marquette University Law School, and she has served on the school's adjunct legal faculty since 2001, where she facilitates classes involving pretrial practice, depositions and trial advocacy. She also completed her mediation training at Harvard Law School in 2001.
Ms. La Fleur is a member of the Wisconsin Association of Mediators and the Association for Women Lawyers, and she routinely volunteers with the Milwaukee Bar Association and Legal Action of Wisconsin. She has served on the Special Preliminary Review Committee for the Office of Lawyer Regulation, as well as a bar examiner with the Wisconsin Board of Bar Examiners. She has also served on several committees of the Milwaukee Bar Association and the State Bar of Wisconsin, as well as the Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 20%Civil Litigation: Defense
- 30%Family Law
- 10%Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Elder Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights, Arbitration, Mediation, Appeals, Legal Malpractice, Professional Malpractice - Other, Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2006, 2019 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Catherine A. La Fleur
First Admitted: 1988, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: https://lafleurlawfirm.com/catherine-la-fleur/
- Honda, Prudential, Wisconsin Electric Power Company, Ace Hardware, Orthotics & Prosthetics, miscellaneous individuals and businesses.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Martindale Hubbell AV rated, 2012
- SuperLawyers, 2020
- NAMWOLF Trial PAC, New Orleans, LA, Speaker, Ethics Involved in Employment Related Litigation, 2019
- NAMWOLF Trials Pac, San Diego, CA, Speaker, Accident Reconstruction, 2018
- Law School Seminar, Phoenix, AZ, Speaker, Electronic Discovery, 2017
- Wisconsin Judges, Speaker, The Adoption of Federal Rule on Scope of Discovery, 2016
- Invited as a member for work done in promoting volunteerism in the law., Fellows Foundation, American Bar Association, 2019
- Inducted into Wisconsin Law Foundation, Board Member, Wisconsin Law Foundation, 2011
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal for Honda in a FCRA case in federal court., 2020
- I won a dismissal of one party/voluntary dismissal of the entire action for Wisconsin Electric Power Company., 2020
- We defended an elderly woman in an abuse of process case. Her nephew/niece and their attorneys sought a verdict in excess of $1,000,000. We obtained a defense verdict., 2018
- We tried a dog bite case and received a verdict that resulted in a settlement with the insurance company of $311,000., 2018
- The Wisconsin Law Journal recognized one of my verdicts that year as one of the top 25 defense verdicts in the state., 2000
- Board Member, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin., 2020
- Member, Trial Pac Committee for the National Association of Minority and Woman-owned law firms (NAMWOLF)., 2019
- Board Member, Fellows Foundation of the Wisconsin Bar Association., 2016
- Member, Wisconsin Law Foundation., 2011
- Adjunct Professor, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI., 2001
- I have long been active in donating my time to the State Bar of Wisconsin and Milwaukee Bar Association, serving on CLE committees, fee arbitration committees, as an elected member of the State Bar Board of Governors and as an elected member to the Wisconsin Judicial Council. I also was the Chair of the Litigation Board for the State Bar of Wisconsin., 1995
- Member, Association of Women Lawyers.
- Chair, Public Education Committee, Collaborative Family Council of Wisconsin.
- I am a decades-long member of the Milwaukee and Wisconsin Bar fee arbitration panels. I have served volunteer positions for the Office of Lawyer Regulation for over 8 years and am currently appointed to a panel by Justice Roggensack to study the Office of Lawyer Regulation at the Wisconsin Supreme Court's direction. I am in my 16th year of teaching as an adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School.
- Elder Law Certificate, Mitchell Hamline University, St. Paul, MN., 2021
- Member, National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), 2017
- Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy , 2013
- Certified as Collaborative Divorce Lawyer, Collaborative Family Law Council of WI , 2012
- WBENC Certification, Woman Owned Business, 2010
Pro bono/Community Service
- President of the Association of Marquette University Women, 2021
- Volunteer at the Milwaukee Justice Center, 2017
- Member, Milwaukee Rotary., 2017
- Elected to the Board of the Fellows Foundation of the State Bar of Wisconsin., 2016
- Member, Professional Dimensions., 2007
- Volunteer, Legal Action of Wisconsin since 1988
- From my graduation from law school in 1988 until the present, I have been a volunteer for the Volunteer Lawyer's Project for Legal Action of Wisconsin. I was a board member of the nonprofit, Journey House, for 17 years. I am completing my 5th year as a board member for the Marquette University National Alumni Association Board and am immediate past president. I am in my 3rd year as VP of Administration for Professional Dimensions. I recently completed a two year term as board member for Starting Point, a drug and alcohol abuse prevention non-profit. I am a board member of the Fellows Foundation of the State Bar of Wisconsin.
- Hired two lawyers, two paralegals., 2021
- Opened a second office location in Sussex, WI on August 1, 2019, 2019
- Elder Law Certificate from Mitchell-Hamline University, St. Paul, MN., 2021
- Mediation training at Harvard Law School., 2001
- I graduated from Marquette University Law School in 1988. I took the Harvard Law School's course on alternative dispute resolution under its Program of Instruction for Lawyers in 2001., 1988
Last Updated: 6/13/2022