Joseph E. Tierney III
Top rated tax attorney in Milwaukee, WisconsinMeissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols S.C.
Joseph E. Tierney, III, is a shareholder and experienced attorney serving clients at Meissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols S.C. He primarily handles matters related to business and corporate law, estate planning, real estate and taxes in the Milwaukee metro area. He focuses intensely on saving his clients’ money for today, the foreseeable future and the next generation.
Mr. Tierney began his journey to becoming a lawyer at Marquette University, where he earned his B.A. Two years later, he completed his law degree at Marquette University Law School. The following year, he obtained his LL.M. in Taxation at New York University. He has been licensed to practice in Wisconsin since 1966. He is also admitted to the Supreme Court of Wisconsin.
Over the past few decades, Mr. Tierney has gained the recognition and respect of his peers. He has also received several awards for his work. For example, he ranked among The Best Lawyers In America® from 1995 to 2020. He also shares the vast knowledge he acquired via authoring several articles and serving as a keynote speaker at several events. He primarily writes and speaks about business law and taxation. In fact, in 2012, he served as an adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School.
Mr. Tierney also maintains memberships at several professional organizations. Some of these include the American Bar Association, Milwaukee Estate Planning Association and Professional Institute of Tax Study.
Practice areasTax: business, Estate planning & probate, Closely held business
Tax law, Estate planning, Probate & estate administration, Trusts
- 40% Tax: business
- 40% Estate planning & probate
- 20% Closely held business
First Admitted: 1966, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: http://www.mtfn.com/attorneys-Joseph-Tierney.html
- , Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2005 – 2021
- Listed in The Best Lawyers In America, The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated, 2019
- Adjunct Professor, Marquette University Law School, Spring 2012, Taxation in the Sports Industry
- The Effect of New International Tax Rules of TCJA on S Corporations: An Update, Author, The Effect of New International Tax Rules of TCJA on S Corporations: An Update, Journal of Passthrough Entities, 2019
- S Corporations and the New International Tax Provisions of the TCJA, Author, S Corporations and the New International Tax Provisions of the TCJA, Journal of Passthrough Entities, 2018
- Tax Issues in Commercial Leases Timing of Rental Income and Deductions and Improvements to Leased Property, Speaker, Tax Issues in Commercial Leases Timing of Rental Income and Deductions and Improvements to Leased Property, Wisconsin Bar Association, 2012
- A Review of Some of the Issues in Intra-family Loans, Speaker, A Review of Some of the Issues in Intra-family Loans, PITS & MEPA, 2012
- Lessons in Entity Choice and Life from the Dodger Purchase Transaction, Journal of Passthrough Entities, Author, Lessons in Entity Choice and Life from the Dodger Purchase Transaction, Journal of Passthrough Entities, 2012
- Marquette University, B.A. , 1964
- LL.M. (Taxation), New York University, 1967
- Attorney Joseph Tierney, a shareholder with the Milwaukee, Wisconsin law firm of Meissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols S.C. discusses Wisconsin's current estate planning environment and how key principal changes have made it better. Those who are currently engaged in estate planning have far more freedom in design than they’ve had in the past. This improved environment in Wisconsin is attributable to recent changes to the federal estate and gift tax., Estate Planning Environment in Wisconsin, Estate Planning, Real Estate, 2016
- Milwaukee Estate Planning Association, 2020
- Supreme Court of Wisconsin
- Professional Institute of Tax Study, 2020
- State Bar of Wisconsin, 2020
- Milwaukee Bar Association, 2020
- American Bar Association, 2020
Office location for Joseph E. Tierney III
111 East Kilbourn Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022
Find me online
- MTFNShareholders Thomas J. Nichols, Randal J. Brotherhood and Adam J. Tutaj discuss Wisconsin’s New Business Entity… https://t.co/02SgLmS57y
- Shareholder Michael J. Cohen has contributed an article to the latest issue of Wisconsin Lawyer magazine, "Trending… https://t.co/tMNp7UNYLK
- Check out our latest MTFN BizCast episode, "Up for Review - January Update," hosted by attorneys Caleb Gerbitz and… https://t.co/G7MYTgX5ES