Susan A. Hansen practices family law as a partner at Hansen & Hildebrand S.C., with an emphasis on mediation with self-represented couples. She has practiced in southeastern Wisconsin for over 30 years. She has extensive experience in complex financial and business issues as well as child-related concerns. Her approach emphasizes working closely with clients for creative problem-solving. Susan uses her expertise to educate clients and help them create positive and private solutions outside of the courtroom. Susan supports an interdisciplinary process of working with child/family specialists and financial experts to provide the greatest value and long-term benefits to clients.
Susan and her law partner co-founded The Family Mediation Center to provide a low cost option for self-represented couples and received the Wisconsin Bar Association Legal Innovator Award. FMC utilizes an interdisciplinary mediation approach, including lawyer mediators and child and financial specialists, to assist couples in creating family-centered agreements and navigating the court process.
Susan has held many leadership positions and consistently been recognized with highest honors in numerous lawyer ratings in addition to Super Lawyers. She has been featured on television, radio, and in numerous publications. She has written and presented on complex financial and children’s family law issues to lawyers, judges, therapists, and other professionals. She has provided training in mediation and collaborative practice locally, nationally and internationally, most recently in Florence, Italy.
Attorney Susan Hansen is committed to providing personalized legal services with integrity and expertise.
First Admitted: 1981, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: http://www.h-hlaw.com/about-us/susan-a-hansen/
- Program development for Guardian ad Litem child advocacy.
- Public education about divorce options and family law.
- Pilot project development for court mediatin services.
- Advisory Board member for Task Force on Family Violence
- Extensive training and experienced trainer in mediation and collaborative practice local, national, and international.
- The Best Lawyers in America is a peer review publication that is published annually. 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyer-selected annually., Super Lawyers, 2020
- Top Women Lawyers in the US by Best Lawyers., 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America is a peer review publication that is published annually. , Milwaukee Best Lawyers Family Law Mediation Lawyer of the Year
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble and American Registry
- Hansen and Hildebrand was named annually as one of the best law firms in America by Best Lawyers, a peer review annual publication. , Best Law Firms in America
- Marquette Law School graduate and admitted to the State and Federal Bar., 1981
- Selected and honored as a Leader in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal., 2009
- Received Innovator of the Year Award from the Wisconsin Bar Association, 2015
- Featured in Wisconsin Lawyer: Featured in "Legal Innovation-Ideas That Spark Change", 2014
- Conducted workshop in Lucca, Italy for collaborative family law practitioners, 2019
- Presented online training for Zoom mediation, 2020
- Coordinated and co-presented statewide 40-hour interdisciplinary family law mediation training. Presented programs for the numerous Bar and Professional organizations about the new Supreme Court Mediator Drafting Rule., 2019
- Presenter for State Bar CLE programs related to divorce, collaborative practice and mediation.
- Past Chair of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin; Past President of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP);
- Presented at international Collaborative Practice conferences in Cork, Ireland, Munich, Germany, Lille, France and Edinburgh, Scotland. Provided interdisciplinary collaborative divorce training in multiple locations in Italy.
- The option of mediation, in which couples work with a neutral lawyer is growing. It is a positive alternative that bridges the gap between do-it-yourself and each hiring a lawyer., co-author, Family Law Mediation: A Response to the Rising Pro Se Tide, Family Lawyer Magazine, 2019
- Alternatives to litigation are changing the culture of family law., author, Split Decisions, Best Lawyers, 2019
- Explains the value of mediation to support communication and informed decision-making by separating and divorcing couples. Mediation with a neutral lawyer provides couples with joint education and guidance to navigate the court process., contributor, Consider a Mediator Over a DIY Divorce, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Insight and advice for lawyers who want to provide mediation service., featured interview, Attorney Offers 7 Keys to Successful Mediation, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Business Section, 2017
- Discusses the challenges and unique financial and family issues for divorcing couples who are 50 or older., contributor, Gray Area: Divorces Among 50-plus Pose New Obstacles for Attorneys, Wisconsin Law Journal, 2016
- Family Mediation Center, was one of a few statewide programs featured in this article highlighting Wisconsin leaders in legal innovations. The concepts of interdisciplinary practice, lawyers as educators and clients as decision-makers are embodied in the new Center as an extension of Hansen & Hildebrand, S.C.'s committment to providing client-centered legal services., Featured business, Legal Innovation: Ideas That Spark Change, Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine, State Bar Of Wisconsin, 2014
- I co-authored a chapter of the book, Innovations in Family Law Practice, entitled "Collaborative Practice", author, Innovations in Family Law Practice, AFCC , 2008
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022