Christine D. Esser
Top rated personal injury attorney in Sheboygan, WisconsinHabush Habush & Rottier S.C.
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Professional liability
Licensed in Wisconsin since: 1995
Education: Drake University Law School
Habush Habush & Rottier S.C.1011 South 8th Street
Sheboygan, WI 53081 Phone: 920-459-8000 Email: Christine D. Esser Visit website
Christine Esser is a shareholder with the firm and manager of the Sheboygan office. She represents injured individuals in a variety of cases from automobile collisions to complex liability claims. Large or small, Christine prepares each case as if it will someday be argued to a jury. While most cases settle out of court, she works as if every case is going to trial to obtain the best possible outcome for each client. Christine has successfully tried jury trials throughout the State of Wisconsin. Based on her significant trial experience and success in the courtroom, Christine has been certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and has been selected for exclusive membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Christine has received the distinction of being recognized as a top lawyer by Super Lawyers, a selective recognition awarded to 5% of Wisconsin lawyers each year, on many occasions. Since 2011, she has been named one of the “Top 25 Women Attorneys in Wisconsin”. She has also been named as one of the “Top 50 Attorneys in Wisconsin” since 2014. She has been named as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the American Trial Lawyers Association and in 2016 she was one of 26 outstanding women lawyers honored by the Wisconsin Law Journal. In 2017 Christine was given an ATHENA Leadership award for mentoring women and girls in Sheboygan County.
Christine makes time to give back to the community on a national and local level. She has published numerous articles and presented at legal seminars on topics relating to her practice. She is an active member in several legal and community organizations. Christine currently serves on the National Diversity of Membership committee for the American Board of Trial Advocates, is a member of Board of Directors for the Wisconsin Association for Justice, and serves locally on the board of Helping Hands Healing Hooves. She served on the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification Board of Examiners for three years. Christine has also held committee positions in the State Bar of Wisconsin, as well as the Milwaukee and Sheboygan County Bar Associations. For many years she served as a District Commissioner for a local chapter of the United States Pony Club and continues to be an active volunteer with Big Brother Big Sisters in Sheboygan.
Christine received her J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, from Drake University Law School and received the William and Ellen Cooney Hoye Award from the law school faculty as the graduating senior who, in their opinion, demonstrated the greatest promise as an advocate, a public servant, and a practitioner. Prior to moving to Wisconsin and beginning her legal career she served as a law clerk for Justice Marsha Ternus on the Iowa Supreme Court. When not in the office or courtroom, Christine’s interests include riding horses, reading and gardening.
First Admitted: 1995, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: https://www.habush.com/attorneys/christine-d-esser/
- Mentor in Sheboygan Big Brother Big Sister's MentorU Program
- Served on a panel of judges who selected the ATHENA winners for Sheboygan., 2018
- Member, Sheboygan Team Blue Ribbon, Child Abuse Prevention Committee
- District Commissioner, Lakefield Pony Club,
- Board Member, Ozaukee County Horse and Pony Project
- Member of 100 Women Who Care, Ozaukee County Chapter, 2017-present
- Lunch Buddy through Big Brother Big Sister of Sheboygan, 2012-2021
- Volunteer Attorney, Sheboygan County Legal Aid, 2006-present
- Board Member, Helping Hands Healing Hooves Equine Assisted Therapy
- Ambassador, Sheboygan County Chamber of Commerce
- Secretary, Cedarburg's Foreign Language Advisory Group
- Council Member, WATER Ministries, 2012-2014
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Board of Directors for the Wisconsin Association for Justice
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Secretary/Treasurer, Sheboygan County Bar Association, 2006-2007
- Chair, Wisconsin Association for Justice Women's Caucus, 2016
- American Association for Justice, 2005 to present
- Sheboygan County Bar Association, 2004-present
- Wisconsin Association for Justice, 2000-present
- Chairperson, Defense Research Institute’s Young Lawyers Publications Committee, 1998-1999
- Contributing Editor, The Verdict, 2008
- Defense Research Institute, 1995-1999
- Sheboygan County Judicial Advisory Council, 2005-2018
- Sheboygan County Bar Community Outreach and Education Committee, 2008-present
- Milwaukee County Civil Courts Committee, 2002- 2005
- Board of Bar Examiners Review Committee, 1996-2000
- State Bar of Wisconsin Young Lawyers Division Programs and Events Committee, 1995-1998
- Women In Management, 2006-2015
- Wisconsin Association for Justice Legislative Committee, 2008
- Milwaukee County Bench/Bar Civil Committee, 2002-2005
- Milwaukee County Bar Association, 2000-2007
- Defense Research Institute’s Young Lawyers Publications Committee, 1996-1999
- Do I have to prove that the dog bit or injured someone before me?
- What made you decide to practice personal injury law?
- Why should I choose Habush Habush & Rottier?
- Who is responsible if a dog caused my injuries?
- What is the most interesting case you have handled?
- What made you decide to become an attorney?
- What is the most rewarding part of being a lawyer?
- Certified, Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2005 to present, National Board of Legal Specialty Certification Board of Examiners, 2008-2011.
- Millsaps College, magna cum laude, 1990
- Author, Gister Decision Invites Hospital Liens, 35 The Verdict 27, 2012
- Lecture, Strange Civil Cases You Need To Know About, Judicial Court Commissioner Joint Conference, 2021
- Lecture, Ask And You Shall Achieve, WAJ, Women's Caucus Retreat, 2021
- Lecture on Finding Your Voice During Opening Statement., Lecture, Top Ten Tips for a Strong Opening Statement, WAJ Women's Caucus Retreat, 2018
- Author, "Selecting and Handling Expert Witnesses in Litigation," 39 For the Defense 15, 1997
- Author, "The Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978: Violating Personal Rights for the Sake of the Tribe," 10 Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy, 1996
- Lecture, "Defending Orthopedic Claims: Strategies from the Surgeon and the Attorney," DRI's National Young Lawyers Convention, 1997
- Lecture, "Does Metadata Matter?" Wisconsin Association for Justice CLE Seminar, 2012
- Lecture, “Auto Insurance: Current Jury Attitudes, Ethics Negotiations, and Handling Auto Cases,” Milwaukee Bar Association CLE Seminar, 2012
- Lecture, "The Fundamentals of Proper Service," Wisconsin Association for Justice CLE Seminar, 2011
- Lecture, "Auto Insurance: Uninsured, Underinsured & Accident Litigation in Wisconsin," Lorman CLE Seminar, 2007
- Lecture, "Auto Insurance Law and Accident Litigation in Wisconsin, Success Lies in the Details," Lorman CLE Seminar, 2002
- Lecture, "Experts: Finding and Handling Yours; Investigating the Other Party's," Wisconsin State Bar Midwinter Convention, 1997
- Lecture, "Ethical Dilemmas in Personal Injury Cases" Wisconsin Association for Justice CLE Seminar, 2010
- Lecture, "Don't Drop the Ball, Get the Call," Wisconsin Association for Justice CLE Seminar, 2014
- Author, “The Conservation Preserve Program and Its Effect on Farmers Filing Bankruptcy”, 43 Drake Law Review, 1994
- Lecture, Using Audio and Visual Evidence To Strengthen Your Case, Ozaukee Bar Association, 2016
- Author, "Authenticating Electronically Stored Information," 40:4 The Verdict 9, 2017
- The Litigation Counsel of America is a trial lawyer honorary whose membership is limited to less than one-half of one percent of North American lawyers, judges and scholars. Fellows are selected based upon excellence and accomplishment in litigation, both at trail and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation. , Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, Litigation Counsel of America, 2021
- Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2014-2022, Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers
- The American Board of Trial Advocates selected her for membership in its exclusive, invitation only, organization., Selected as a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, 2019
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2011-2022, Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers
- Top 25 Women Super Lawyers, 2011-2022, Top 25 Women Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers
- In recognition of her professional attainment, distinguished service, commitment to the legal profession and the administration of justice to maintain and advance high standards of ethical conduct in both the legal profession and her community, Attorney Esser was elected as a Fellow of the Wisconsin Law Foundation., Fellow, The Wisconsin Law Foundation, 2018
- ATHENA Leadership Award Finalist--ATHENA International recognizes people who "have achieved the highest level of professional excellence; contribute time and energy to improve the quality of life for others in the community; and actively assist others, particularly women, in realizing their full leadership potential, 2017
- Avvo 10.0 Rating
- Woman in the Law Award, Wisconsin Law Journal, 2016
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2007, 2011 - 2022
Top ListsTop 50: Wisconsin Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022
- Top 50: 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2020 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2019 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2018 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2016 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2015 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2014 Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2022 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2021 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2020 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2019 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2018 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2017 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2016 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2015 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2014 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2013 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2012 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2011 Women Wisconsin Super Lawyers