Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Cheyenne, WyomingThe Fitzgerald Law Firm
Jim Fitzgerald has over four decades of experience practicing law. Based in Cheyenne, Wyoming, he founded The Fitzgerald Law Firm with the cornerstone belief of finding truth and justice for those deeply impacted by the negligence of others. His practice focuses on serious personal injury matters, including product liability, catastrophic injury and death, workplace liability, medical malpractice, mining accidents, wrongful death, and more.
Admitted to practice in the states of Colorado and Wyoming, Mr. Fitzgerald is also licensed to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming, the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, and Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Fitzgerald has developed a national reputation for delivering extraordinary results, holding the record for the highest verdicts ever upheld on appeal in the Wyoming Supreme Court for personal injuries and wrongful death. He is known among peers and clients for his zealous and tireless advocacy and his commitment to the needs of each individual or family he represents.
With a bachelor’s degree from the University of Wyoming, Mr. Fitzgerald went on to Army Officer Candidate School. He was in the top 10% of his class, served in Vietnam, and was awarded the Army Commendation Medal, two bronze stars, and a Letter of Commendation. Following his service, Mr. Fitzgerald obtained his law degree from the University of Colorado School of Law.
Throughout his career, Mr. Fitzgerald has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements on behalf of his injured clients and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He has been trial counsel in nearly half of the million-dollar verdicts in the history of Wyoming and holds the records for the largest injury verdict and the largest wrongful death verdict ever upheld on appeal in Wyoming. He was selected to be a member of America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators for his work on cases with multi-millions at stake. Honored for his remarkable legal contributions, Mr. Fitzgerald has been included in the list of The Best Lawyers in America since 1987 and has been added to the Lawdragon 500 by the Leading Plaintiff Lawyers in America, and is on the Top 10 list of The National Trial Lawyers Association: Trucking Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Fitzgerald has memberships in the American Association for Justice, Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, and the following invitation-only groups: Inner Circle of Advocates, International Academy of Trial Lawyers, American College of Trial Lawyers, and International Society of Barristers.
After examination, experience and recommendations from lawyers and judges, he holds five board certifications, including the American Board of Trial Advocates, the American College of Board Certified Attorneys, and triple board-certified in three fields by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Recognized for his exemplary work, he has been AV Preeminent* peer review-rated by Martindale Hubbell and has a “Superb” rating on Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished, and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license under the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ falls into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Medical Devices, Medical Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Motor Vehicle Defects, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 70% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1975, Wyoming
Professional Webpage: https://www.fitzgeraldlaw.com/who-we-are/jim-fitzgerald
- National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- Triple-board certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA) in Civil Trial, Civil Practice Advocacy, and Truck Accident Law, 2020
- American College of Board-Certified Attorneys
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Practice limited to individual citizens and families.
- Donahue v. CTC: set and holds the record for the largest judgment ever upheld on appeal in Wyoming for wrongful death.
- ANB, Conservator v. Hannifan and Hampleman: set and holds the record for the largest judgment ever upheld on appeal in Wyoming for injuries.
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2007 - present, Super Lawyers®
- Top 75: Mountain States Super Lawyers; 2007, 2009 - 2010, Super Lawyers®
- Top 100 Mountain States Super Lawyers; 2014 - 2016, 2018 - 2023, Super Lawyers®
- Lawdragon Hall of Fame, Lawdragon, 2022
- Recipient, Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Lawyers in America
- Selected Member, Top 100 Attorney, The National Trial Lawyers
- Selected Member, America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®
- Recipient, Irish Legal 100
- Selected Member, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Selected Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Selected Member, Top 10 Trucking Trial Lawyers in Wyoming, The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Jim Fitzgerald has been selected by legal peers for inclusion in every edition of The Best Lawyers in America, one among a distinguished group of attorneys who have now been listed in Best Lawyers for twenty years or longer, 1987 - Present, The Best Lawyers in America®, Best Lawyers®
- Awarded the highest possible rating in legal ability and ethical standards, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell®, 2023
- University of Wyoming, Bachelor of Arts, 1969
- University of Colorado, Juris Doctor, 1975
- Wyoming and U.S. District Court, District of Wyoming, 1975
- Wyoming State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- Colorado State Bar, 1993
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2001
- Wyoming chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates; Founder and Past President
- Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association; Member
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association; Member
- International Society of Barristers; Invitation-only Member
- National Board of Trial Advocacy; Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers; Invitation-only Member
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers; Invitation-only Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates; Member
- Inner Circle of Advocates (President, 2000 to 2001); Invitation-only Member
- Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association (past president); Member
- American Association for Justice; Member
- Wyoming State Bar and Legal Aid of Wyoming Pro Bono Award for Legal Service for Indigent Clients. , 2019
- Founder of the Fitzgerald Foundation for Children: Mission of improving public safety for children primarily, but not exclusively, in Wyoming. The Foundation has supported numerous local and national organizations and schools in their philanthropic pursuits, building community relationships and impacting societal change for the safety and education of young people and their families.
Office location for Jim Fitzgerald
2108 Warren Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82001
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023
Top ListsTop 100: Mountain States Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2016, 2018 - 2023
- Top 100: 2023 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2022 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2021 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2019 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2014 Mountain States Super Lawyers