Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Attorney Ben Berkowitz is a partner at Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP in San Francisco, California. Mr. Berkowitz has over 15 years of legal experience and handles class action, commercial, consumer, contracts, intellectual property, professional liability and white collar criminal matters. He represents clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Mr. Berkowitz graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania in 2002 with a bachelor’s degree, and he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He went on to graduate cum laude from Harvard Law School in 2005. While in law school, he served as the executive editor of the Harvard Civil Rights – Civil Liberties Law Review.
Earlier in his legal career and prior to joining Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP, Mr. Berkowitz spent a year clerking for a U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit judge. As a private attorney, he has represented many major businesses and corporations in complex litigation before state and federal courts.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Berkowitz is a valuable contributor to his local community and maintains strong relationships with his professional colleagues. He sits on the board of the American Constitution Society Bay Area Lawyer Chapter and the Harvard Law School Association of Northern California Executive Committee.
Additionally, Mr. Berkowitz has lectured at various legal seminars and conferences, and served on the faculty of groups such as the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and Pincus Professional Education. He is licensed to practice law before the state courts of California, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- 50%Business Litigation
- 50%Intellectual Property Litigation
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2022
Articles about Ben Berkowitz appearing in Super Lawyers
About Ben Berkowitz
First Admitted: 2005, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.keker.com/Lawyers/Berkowitz-Ben
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Directors of the American Constitution Society (Bay Area Chapter)
- Chair of the Advancement Committee for Asylum Access
- Executive editor, Harvard Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Law Review
- Lecture, "Hot Topics in Copyright Law," October 2011, University of California Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
- Lecture, "Digital Property, Extraterritoriality, and the Evolution of the First Sale Doctrine," March 2011, University of California Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
- Moderator, "Forty Years after Roe: Examining the Social, Political and Economic Impact of the Constitutional Right to Abortion," March 2013, American Constitution Society
- Faculty, "Superior Court Boot Camp," Pincus Professional Education, October 2013
- Moderator, "Restorative Justice and Our Communities," American Constitution Society and the National Council on Crime and Delinquency, 2014
- Faculty, "Federal Court Boot Camp," Pincus Professional Education, June 2014
- Faculty, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 2014
- Author, "An Entrepreneur's Guide to Getting Sued and Fighting Back," Entrepreneur, 2014
- Faculty, "Defending FCA Lawsuits Based on the “Swapping” Theory of Anti-Kickback Liability," American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2015
- Faculty, "Federal Court Boot Camp," Pincus Professional Education, 2016
- Co-Author, "Trade Secret Law: A Brief Guide for In-House Counsel," InsideCounsel, 2016
- Named to Super Lawyers, 2017-present
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Pennsylvania
- Executive Committee, Harvard Law School Alumni Association of Northern California
- Board Member, American Constitution Society (Bay Area Lawyers Chapter)
- New Jersey
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., summa cum laude, 2002
- Oxford University, 2000-2001
Last Updated: 5/15/2022