Michelle S. Ybarra
Top Rated Civil Litigation Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2016 - 2018
Michelle S. Ybarra is an attorney and partner at the law firm of Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP in San Francisco, California. Ms. Ybarra works with class action, consumer, contract, intellectual property, professional liability and securities actions, serving clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Ms. Ybarra has over a decade of legal experience. Over the course of her career, she has successfully resolved complex cases for individuals and businesses in many different industries. She stays current on legal trends and issues, regularly writing and lecturing for various groups and organizations including the Daily Journal, Intellectual Property Today, TechRepublic and VentureBeat.
Active in California ChangeLawyers, Ms. Ybarra sits on the board of the organization and belongs to its nominations committee. She is dedicated to serving her community and has been involved in pro bono cases involving major laws and complex issues.
Recognized for her success and accomplishments in the legal profession, the Daily Journal included Ms. Ybarra on its “Top 40 Under 40” list in 2019 and named one of her cases the “Top Defense Verdict” in 2016. Additionally, Women Leaders in Tech Law included her in “The Recorder” in 2018.
After graduating cum laude from Harvard University in 2003 with a bachelor’s degree, Ms. Ybarra went on to earn her law degree from the University of Chicago Law School in 2008. While attending Harvard, she received the national Hispanic scholar award and an academic scholarship for academic distinction. Upon law school graduation, she passed the California bar exam and became qualified to practice law before all California state courts.
- 40%Civil Litigation: Defense
- 30%Intellectual Property
- 20%Class Action/Mass Torts: Defense
- 10%Professional Liability: Defense
Intellectual Property Law, Class Actions, Legal Malpractice
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2021
- Rising Stars: 2016 - 2018
About Michelle S. Ybarra
First Admitted: 2008, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.keker.com/Lawyers/Ybarra-Michelle
- Symantec v. Zscaler
- Plaintiffs v. Sacramento Casino Royale
- Taxi Company v. Ride-Sharing Company
- State of New York v. Intel Corp.
- Bascom Research, LLC v. LinkedIn Corporation
- United States v. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., et al.
- Bowe v. Public Storage
- Cotter, et al. v. Lyft, Inc.
- Essential Access Health, et. al v. Azar
- “Trade Secret and Employee Mobility San Francisco” Bridgeport Continuing Education, 2017
- "Three Ways Game Developers Can Avoid Cloning," TechRepublic, 2012
- "When Clones Attack: How to Protect Social/Mobile Games from Copying," Intellectual Property Today, 2012, co-authored with Ben Hur
- "Defeating Mobile Game Clones: Why Copyright Protection is Not Enough," VentureBeat, 2013, co-authored with Ben Hur
- "Four Tips for Fending Off IP Litigation," co-authored with Justina Sessions, The Daily Journal, 2016
- Top 40 Under 40, The Daily Journal, 2019
- National Hispanic Scholar, Harvard University, 2001-2003
- Harvard College Scholarships for academic distinction, 2003
- Pillar of Character Award, Northside Independent School District, 2006
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016
- Top Defense Verdict, Daily Journal, 2016
- Women Leaders in Tech Law, The Recorder, 2018
- Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, 2003
Last Updated: 5/15/2022