Steven P. Ragland
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in San Francisco, CA
Steven P. Ragland is an attorney in San Francisco, California, with over 20 years of legal experience. Mr. Ragland is a partner at the law firm of Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP and handles cases involving commercial, contract, intellectual property, professional liability and white collar criminal law, serving clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Over his years of legal practice, Mr. Ragland has secured successful results in many major cases. He has litigation experience in state and federal court, and at the appellate level before courts, including the Supreme Court of California and the Supreme Court of the United States. Earlier in his legal career, he practiced at a Washington, D.C., law firm.
In honor of his accomplishments, “The Best Lawyers in America” listed Mr. Ragland in its publication. In 2017, the Daily Journal named him “California Lawyer of the Year” for intellectual property.
Outside of his law practice, Mr. Ragland has served on various panels and helped organize events at legal conferences and seminars. He has served in several leadership positions, including as vice president of the Criminal Trial Lawyers Association of Northern California and co-chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers White Collar Crime Committee. He serves on the board of directors of Disability Rights Advocates.
Mr. Ragland earned a bachelor's degree from Lehigh University, graduating with high honors. He went on to graduate summa cum laude from American University Washington College of Law. Following law school, he passed the California bar exam and became qualified to appear before all California state courts.
- 30%Business Litigation
- 30%Intellectual Property Litigation
- 20%Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 20%Professional Liability: Defense
Trade Secret, Non-Compete Agreements, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal, Legal Malpractice, Professional Malpractice - Other, Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2022
About Steven P. Ragland
First Admitted: 2002, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.keker.com/Lawyers/Ragland-Steven
- Individual v. Fortune 500 Company
- Discover v. Visa USA, Inc.
- United States v. Executive
- John J. Tennison v. City and County of San Francisco
- State of California v. Gas Pipeline Operator
- Heller Ehrman LLP v. Davis, Wright Tremaine and Foley & Lardner
- Entrepreneurs v. Law Firm
- People v. Construction Services Company
- SanDisk Corp. v. SK Hynix Inc.
- Individual v. Public Company
- Jewett v. Shasta County Sheriff’s Department, et al
- Oracle America, Inc. v. Google Inc.
- Plaintiffs v. Founders of Digital Currency Startup
- Venture-Backed Biotechnology Company v. Pharmaceutical Company
- Berk v. Coinbase
- Genentech v. JHL Biotech
- Organizer and moderator, “Managing the Intersection Between Technology, Privacy & Law,” First Annual Corporate Counsel Conclave, 2017
- “Using the Master’s Tools: Fighting Persistent Police Misconduct with Civil RICO,” American University Law Review, 2001
- Panelist and conference organizer, “Patriotism in a Time of War – Defending the Bill of Rights and the Individual Accused in Terrorism Cases,” 2003
- Panelist and organizer, “Police Misconduct and Institutional Reform Litigation in California,” 2005
- “Obstruction Seduction: The increasingly long reach of the obstruction of justice statutes,” Second Annual White Collar Crime Seminar, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2006
- “Representing ‘Those People’: Notes on Criminal Defense,” Daily Journal, 2007
- Panelist, “Federal Court Boot Camp Conference: How to Practice in Federal Court,” 2011, 2013
- Panelist, “When There Are No Other Options: Dispositions Without Trials,” NACDL White Collar Conference, 2013
- Faculty, “Superior Court: From the Complaint to Motions and Everything In-Between,” Pincus Professional Education’s Annual Litigation Boot Camp, 2009-2011, 2014, 2015, 2017
- Panelist and moderator, “Safeguarding Confidence: Ethical Strategies for Preventing and Addressing Privilege Problems,” NACDL’s West Coast White Collar Conference, 2015
- Panelist and moderator, “Winning a White Collar Case in the Digital Age,” NACDL’s West Coast White Collar Conference, 2017
- Board of Directors, Disability Rights Advocates
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Criminal Trial Lawyers Association of Northern California
- Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Lehigh University, B.A., high honors
- 2016 California Lawyer of the Year (CLAY) Award for Intellectual Property, California Lawyer of the Year - Intellectual Property, Daily Journal, 2016
- Benchmark Litigation Star
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Business Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Professional Liability, 2013 - Present
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Directors, Disability Rights Advocates, 2017
Last Updated: 5/15/2022