Devin H. Fok
Top Rated Consumer Law Attorney in San Marino, CA
A graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, Devin H. Fok is the founder of DHF Law, P.C. From his firm’s office in Pasadena, California, he represents clients in all of Los Angeles County, throughout the state and across the country. Mr. Fok has been admitted to practice in California since 2008. In addition, he is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California, as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Mr. Fok devotes a significant portion of his practice to the representation of people who have been harmed as a direct result of being the victims of erroneous background checks. This frequently comes up when people are applying for a job and their prospective employers do their due diligence. The employers generally use third-party consumer reporting companies to conduct them, and they are required to get the applicant’s prior written consent. The Fair Credit Reporting Act mandates that these reports have to be accurate, but they are frequently not in many respects.
Some of the types of errors that are often made include using the background information of a person with a name that is similar or identical to the applicant, revealing information that has previously been expunged, providing misleading information and omitting important information about a criminal case. Throughout his career, Mr. Fok has been instrumental in obtaining, through both individual and class action lawsuits, millions of dollars in compensation for clients who have been harmed by these types of mistakes. His successful track record in this regard has led to a great deal of recognition from his colleagues, including a 10.0 “Superb” peer review rating through Avvo.
About Devin H. Fok
First Admitted: 2008, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.dhflawyer.com/aboutdhflaw/
- University of Washington, 2004
- Eastern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Central District of California
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Northern District of California
- California Supreme Court
- Roe v. Intellicorp - $18.6 million class-wide settlement relating to the use of instant background check reports, 2014
- Delgado v. Aerotek - class-wide settlement pending preliminary approval relating to the employer's failure to provide proper notice and authorization prior to taking adverse action on the basis of background check reports, 2015
- Smith v. Harbor Freight Tools - $1.04-$1.3 million settlement for employer's failure to provide proper notice and authorization to applicants for employment before taking adverse action on the basis of background check reports, 2015
- King/Dowell v. GIS - $3.4 million class-wide settlement relating to the disclosure of outdated information on employment background check reports, 2014
- Background Screening
Last Updated: 5/25/2022