Jody Harper Alderman
Top rated Eminent Domain attorney in Denver, ColoradoAlderman Bernstein LLC
Practice Areas: Eminent Domain, Real Estate
Licensed in Colorado since: 1994
Education: University of Colorado Law School
Alderman Bernstein LLC101 University Boulevard
Denver, CO 80206 Visit website
Jody Harper Alderman is a member of Alderman Bernstein LLC in Denver, Colorado. Devoting her practice to real estate law, she handles transactions as well as litigation for clients in the Denver metropolitan area and all over Colorado in matters involving real estate contracts, eminent domain, lease and easement negotiations, due diligence, closings, contract disputes, Rule 105 proceedings, quiet title actions and Rule 106 appeals regarding land use decisions, and probate litigation.
After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Virginia in 1991, Jody earned her Juris Doctor at the University of Colorado Law School in 1994. While in law school, she was editor-in-chief of the Colorado Law Review, was inducted into the Order of the Coif, and won the American Jurisprudence Award for Constitutional Law.
Admitted to practice in Colorado, Jody is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. In addition to her practice, she is an active member of the Real Estate Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, including the Eminent Domain subcommittee of the Real Estate Law Section. She is also a member of Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW).
Jody has presented many continuing legal education classes and seminars on eminent domain law and other legal topics. Since 2007, she has been listed annually in The Best Lawyers in America* in the category of eminent domain and condemnation law, and she also has been given an AV Preeminent** rating by Martindale-Hubbell. Jody is active in her community, including her service on the board of directors of the Tennyson Center for Children at Colorado Christian Home and the Board of Trustees of Holy Family High School.
*The Best Lawyers in America® 2010. Copyright 2009 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
**AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEminent Domain, Real Estate: Business
- 50% Eminent Domain
- 50% Real Estate: Business
First Admitted: 1994, Colorado
Professional Webpage: https://www.aldermanbernstein.com/attorney/jody-h-alderman/
- Tennyson Center for Children at Colorado Christian Home, Board of Directors, 2007 - 2014 (Chair of the Board, 2010 - 2012); 2016 - Present (Current Chair of the Board).
- Tennyson Center for Children at Colorado Christian Home, Denver Dinner Fundraising Committee, 1999 - 2010.
- Tennyson Center for Children at Colorado Christian Home, Chair, Denver Dinner Fundraising Committee, 2009 - 2010.
- Tennyson Center for Children at Colorado Christian Home, Chair, Denver Dinner Fundraising Committee, 2000 - 2002.
- Holy Family High School, Member of the Board of Trustees
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Viginia, USA, B.A., 1991
- Best Lawyers in America for Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2007 - Present.
- American Jurisprudence Award, Constitutional Law, University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, Colorado.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated, 1999 - Present.
- Golden Key National Honor Society, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Order of the Coif, University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, Colorado.
- Speaker, Damages Issues- What you Need to Know, Eminent Domain, CLE International Seminar, 2005.
- Speaker, Cutting Edge Issues in Just Compensation, Panel Discussion, 22nd Annual ALI-ABA Course of Study on Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, 2005.
- Speaker, Can Your Broken Appraisal be Fixed?, 22nd Annual ALI-ABA Course of Study on Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, 2005.
- Speaker, Effective Legal Writing, CLE International Seminar, 2004.
- Speaker, Understanding Special Benefits, Eminent Domain, CLE International Seminar, 2004.
- Speaker, Getting Successful Results in Colorado Eminent Domain Actions, NBI Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 2002.
- Speaker, Land Use Planning and Eminent Domain in Colorado, NBI Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 2001.
- Speaker, Land Preservation and Open Space as the Highest and Best Use of Property--Reasonable Market Value, Resolving Conflicts Between Legal Principles and Appraisal Methodology, Eminent Domain, CLE International, 2000.
- Speaker, Evidence for the Litigation Paralegal in Colorado, IPE Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 1998.
- Speaker, What's New in Eminent Domain: An Update on Case Law and New Legislation in Colorado and Around the Country, CLE International Seminar, 2008.
- Speaker, When a Condemnation Case Is Abandoned: Estoppel, Damages Claims and Other Interesting Issues, CLE International Seminar, 2009.
- Speaker, Hardship Acquisitions: What Are They and When Are They Available?, CLE International Seminar, 2010.
- Speaker, Condemnor: Working with Clients and Suggestions for a Case Plan , ALI-ABA Condemnation 101 Seminar, 2011.
- Law Review: Editor in Chief, University of Colorado, 1993 - 1994
- Law Review: University of Colorado, 1992 - 1994
- Competing Condemnations- Prior Public Use Doctrine, Balancing Competing Condemnation Interests, Dominant Eminent Domain (Co-Author).
- Speaker, Ethics- Issues Facing the Eminent Domain Professional, CLE International Seminar, 2007.
- School District No. 12 v. Security Life of Denver Ins. Co., 185 P.3d 781 (Colo. 2008)
- C-470 Joint Venture v. Trizec Colorado, Inc, 176 F.3d 1289 (10th Cir. 1999)
- Regional Transportation District v. 750 West 48th Ave., LLC, 357 P.3d 179 (Colo. 2015)
- E-470 Public Highway Authority v. Revenig, 91 P.3d 1038 (Colo. 2004)
- Farmland Industries, Inc. v. Colorado & Eastern R. Co., 944 F.Supp. 1492 (D. Colo. 1996)
- Department of Transportation v. First Place, LLC, 148 P.3d 261 (Colo. App. 2006)
- City of Grand Junction v. City and County of Denver, 960 P.2d 675 (Colo. 1998)
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1994.
- Denver Bar Association.
- Council of Real Estate Section of Colorado Bar Association, Member, 2015-2018.
- Colorado, 1994.
- Colorado Bar Association.
- CREW-Denver, Commercial Real Estate Women, 2007 - Present.
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1997.
- Colorado Women's Bar Association.
Office location for Jody Harper Alderman
101 University Boulevard
Denver, CO 80206
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
Additional sources of information about Jody Harper Alderman
See legal Q & A provided by Jody Harper Alderman
Q: What do I do if I receive a Notice of Intent to Acquire or find out that the government is taking my property for a construction project in Colorado?A: If the estimated value of the property that the government (which is sometimes called the condemning authority or the condemnor) is taking is over …
Q: When can the government or a private company take private property by eminent domain in Colorado?A: Pursuant to Article II, Section 15, of the Colorado Constitution, the state has the power to take private property without the consent of the … See all answers by Jody Alderman