Harry A. Payton
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Miami, FloridaPayton & Associates, LLC
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Civil Litigation view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1966
Education: Georgetown University Law Center
Payton & Associates, LLC2 S. Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33131 Visit website
Harry Payton is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Business Litigation and Civil Trial. With over 45 years of experience in state and federal court, he represents domestic and foreign companies and high net worth individuals in complex business litigation matters involving commercial real estate, commercial foreclosures and lender liability; corporate, shareholder and partnership disputes; litigation involving fine art; intra-family business disputes; and probate, will and trust litigation.
Harry was appointed to the Professionalism Committee for the 11th Judicial Circuit, and chairs the mentoring program subcommittee. He serves on The Florida Bar Standard Jury Instructions (SJI) Committee — Contract and Business Cases. He previously served on The Florida Bar’s Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee and the Florida Bar’s Judicial Administration and Evaluation Committee; and chaired The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education and the Business Litigation Certification Committee. He has received Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer review rating, “AV Preeminent® 5 out of 5,” for more than 30 years.
In the American Bar Association, Harry is a member of the Subcommittee on Billing and Budgeting, Corporate Counsel Committee, Section of Litigation. He was a leader in the effort by the ABA to create a uniform system of billing and budgeting to serve as a platform for assessing the productivity and efficiency of outside counsel and law firms.
Harry is the Miami representative for Complex Commercial Business Litigation for the International Network of Boutique and Independent Law Firms (INBLF), and president of the Miami chapter. In addition, he is a member of IR Global, an international organization of 750 vetted professionals in the areas of law, accounting, and finance; and serves on the steering committee of the Private Client group. Membership in the INBLF and IR Global networks enables the firm to provide clients with the highest quality advice and support around the world.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff, Civil Litigation: Defense, Construction Litigation: Business, Estate & Trust Litigation
First Admitted: 1966, Florida
Professional Webpage: http://www.payton-law.com/Attorneys/Harry-A-Payton.shtml
- Successfully represented developer of residential community who sued contractor for delay in completion and failure to discharge claims. Settled at the first deposition for full payment plus attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained judgment for shareholders in derivative action against officer violating fiduciary duties. Judgment in excess of $10 million.
- Successfully represented customer in claim against national bank for negligence in allowing client’s accountant to embezzle funds.
- Obtained consent judgment in six figures in a business partnership/joint venture dispute and collected entire award during post-judgment proceedings in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Georgetown Law Center, LL.B.
- Florida State University, B.S., Bus. Admin., Cum Laude, Phi Kappa Phi
- Board Certified Business Litigation since 1997, Florida Bar Board Of Legal Specialization and Education
- Board Certified Civil Trial since 1983, Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Grade Review Panel for Business Litigation Certification, Board of Legal Specialization & Education (BLSE), September 2021, 2021
- Member, The Florida Bar Standard Jury Instructions (SJI) Committee - Contract and Business Cases, since 2018
- Professionalism Committee for the 11th Judicial Circuit, 2012-present; Chair, Mentoring Program Subcommittee
- International Network of Boutique and Independent Law Firms (INBLF), Miami chapter president, 2012-present
- American Bar Association Section of International Law, Art & Cultural Heritage Law Committee
- IR Global, 2013-present
- American Bar Association, Forum Committee on Entertainment and Sports Industries, Arts & Museums
- Subcommittee on Billing and Budgeting, Corporate Counsel Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, 2018
- Member, Florida Bar Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee, July, 2011-2014
- Member, Judicial Administration and Evaluation Committee, The Florida Bar, 2008 - July, 2011
- Council on Litigation Management, 2009 - 2010
- Chair, Executive Committee, Board of Legal Specialization and Education 2005 - 2006
- The Florida Bar, since 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- The distinction between Ethics and Professionalism for Attorneys., Discussion Leader, Ethics Vs Professionalism, SMKBA (South Miami Kendall Bar Assn) September CLE Luncheon: Ethics Vs Professionalism with Harry A. Payton, 2021
- IR Global members collaborate with the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) to offer jurisdiction-specific advice on using external expertise effectively. In the following pages, you will hear from professionals in the legal, accounting and financial sectors who are key to ensuring that an M&A deal is successful providing all parties seek the right advice. , contributor, The Art of Deal Making: Using External Expertise Effectively, IR Global in conjunction with the ACC, 2020
- Litigation has always been a face-to-face business but the COVID-19 pandemic has forced lawyers, judges, and witnesses to conduct hearings, depositions, and trials remotely, dramatically changing the dynamics. This webinar provides suggestions from INBLF lawyers on topics including taking and defending virtual depositions, effective appellate advocacy, and how to be effective in a virtual courtroom., Webinar Co-Presenter, Litigation in a (Virtual) Brave New World, INBLF, June 2020, INBLF, 2020
- The core aim of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act is to prohibit companies and their individual officers from influencing foreign officials with any personal payments or rewards. FCPA investigations can result in litigation and other disputes., Discussion Leader, What Litigators Need to Know about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, INBLF Civil Litigation Practice Group , 2019
- The process of recovering debts when the individual debtor in question holds assets in multiple jurisdictions around the world., Co-Author, International Asset Sequestration: Achieving Effective Judgment Awards, IR Global Virtual Round Table Series, Private Client Working Group, Legal, Wealth Management, Finance, 2018
- The principal characteristics of the collection of data under GDPR are that it must be lawful, it must be fair and it must be transparent. Under GDPR, the financial professional has an obligation to explain to the client the use to which the data will be put. , Author, A Financial Advisor's Duties Dealing With GDPR, WealthManagement.com, Legal, Wealth Management, Finance, 2018
- Important aspects of international asset protection planning., Co-Author, International Asset Protection Planning | The Debtor's Dilemma - Planning for and Protecting against Future Judgments, IR Global Virtual Round Table Series, Private Client Working Group, 2016
- Protecting an Inheritance, Co-Author, South Florida Attorneys Take on Complex Cross-Border Disputes, South Florida Legal Guide 2014, Legal, Private Wealth Management, 2014
- "2011 Florida Distressed Real Estate Summit" re: "When Workouts Don't Work Out - Litigation, Receivers, Lender Liability and More," and "Workouts & Recapitalization." Sponsored by GreenPearl Events, Miami, Florida, January 2011, Program Leader and Panelist, Florida Distressed Real Estate Summit: When Workouts Don't Work Out, GreenPearl Events, 2011
- Speaker, "Managing Litigation Reference Model," Annual Conference of the Council on Litigation Management, Pointe Vedra, Florida, March 24-26, 2010, Speaker, Managing Litigation Reference Model, Annual Conference of the Council on Litigation Management, 2010
- Selected for inclusion in America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators® for 2021., 2021
- Honorable Discharge, National Guard
- Recognized in 2018-2022 editions of The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation-Real Estate and Litigation-Banking and Finance, https://www.bestlawyers.com/lawyers/harry-a-payton/162179, 2022
- Selected to America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators® , America's Top 100 LLC, 2021
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers®, 2005-present
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent 5.0/5.0, 1983-present
- Selected for inclusion in South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, Corporate and Business Litigation, Real Estate Litigation, 2005-present
- Chair, Mentoring Subcommittee, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Committee on Professionalism, 2012-present
- Named in Legal Leaders publication as a South Florida "Top Rated Lawyer" for commercial litigation 2013-2019
- Honored by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education for 30 years of board certification in Civil Trial, 2013
- Corporate Governance
- Health Care
- Real Estate
Office location for Harry A. Payton
2 S. Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33131
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023
Certificates and credentials
Additional sources of information about Harry A. Payton
Find me online
- I look forward to serving as a panelist on Litigating Business Claims and Business Law at the Spellman-Hoeveler Inn… https://t.co/jTAuEfwLj5
- Payton & Associates lawyer Harry A. Payton named to 2020 Best Lawyers® list https://t.co/TgL66TxGnC #Legal
- I was pleased to lead two discussions on the impact of the General Data Protection Regulations on federal court lit… https://t.co/xAjGQt2789