Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Orlando, FL
Richard West is the owner of West Family Law Group in Orlando, Florida. A board-certified specialist in marital and family law by The Florida Bar, he has more than 35 years of legal experience upholding the rights of his clients.
Mr. West represents families in Orlando, Orange County, Seminole County, Lake County, Osceola County, Winter Park, Windermere, Lake Mary, Maitland, Florida, and across the U.S. He takes on cases involving high net worth divorces, complex property division, child custody and visitation, child support, modification actions, collaborative law, paternity, spousal support, marital agreements and more.
A 1977 Bachelor of Arts graduate of the University of Florida, Mr. West obtained his J.D. from South Texas College of Law Houston. He was admitted to practice in the state of Florida in 1986 and has been litigating hundreds of cases on behalf of families, celebrities, doctors, athletes and other public figures since then.
Mr. West’s successful track record and outstanding professionalism have led to his receipt of many awards and honors. He was rated AV Preeminent* by Martindale-Hubbell and was named Orlando’s Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America. His firm was listed among the 2018 Best Law Firms in America by the U.S. News & World Report, and he was selected for inclusion in Orlando Magazine’s Best Lawyers list and Florida Trend’s Legal Elite list.
A past president of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Florida Chapter, Mr. West was the former chair of The Florida Bar's Family Law Section. He holds membership in the International Academy of Family Lawyers, Orange County Bar Association, Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals and Central Florida Family Law Inn of Court.
Active in his community, Mr. West provides pro bono services with the help of nonprofit organizations such as Central Florida Women’s League and Team Gamez Foundation. He also frequently speaks and presents on topics related to his areas of interest.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022
About Richard West
First Admitted: 1980
Professional Webpage: https://www.westfamilylawgroup.com/our-attorneys/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Central Florida Women’s League
- Team Gamez Foundation
- Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America©, 12+ years
- Orlando’s Lawyer of the Year, Family Law, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018, 2016, 2012
- West Family Law Group, ranked among the 2018 Best Law Firms in America by U.S. News and Best Lawyers
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell
- Legal Elite, Florida Trend, 12+ years
- Best Lawyers, Orlando Magazine, 12+ years
- Top 100 Florida Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2018, 2016, 2015
- Top 50 Florida Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2018
- The Best Of, Florida Trends Legal Elite Magazine
- The Best Of, Best Lawyers
- Orlando's 2016 Family Lawyer of the Year
- The Best Of, Orlando Magazine Best Lawyers
- Board Certified Specialist, Marital and Family Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified - Family & Marital Law by The Florida Bar, 1986
- Member, Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Past Chairman, Family Law Section, Florida Bar Association, 2003-04
- Past President, Florida chapter, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Member, Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida
- Member, Central Florida Family Inn of Court
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Ad Hoc Bounds of Advocacy Committee, Family Law Section, Florida Bar Association, 2017-18
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Past Chairman, Florida Bar Family Law Section, 2003-2004
- Past President and Current Fellow, Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- BA, English, University of South Florida
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Best Lawyers-Orlando Family Lawyer of the Year, 2016
- Meet Richard West, 2021
- , In What Situations Is Spousal Support (Alimony) Awarded In Florida?, 2021
- , What are the different ways cryptocurrency can be distributed in a divorce? , 2021
- , What If The Parties Are Unable To Reach Agreement In A Divorce Mediation? , 2021
- , How Do I Get A Divorce From Someone In Another Country?, 2021
- , What Is Collaborative Divorce?, 2021
- , West Family Law Group - Orlando Lawyer of the Year, Family Law
Last Updated: 5/15/2022