Charles H. Van Horn
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Atlanta, GA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2005
Chuck Van Horn is a shareholder at Berman Fink Van Horn where his practice involves business and commercial litigation with an emphasis in litigation arising out of real estate transactions.
Chuck represents financial institutions, mortgage companies, loan default services, title companies, attorneys, real estate brokers, appraisers and builders and developers in all types of disputes, including loan enforcement, data breach and cyber-related issues, foreclosure claims and related litigation, title litigation, contract disputes, business torts, unfair competition claims, malpractice allegations and partnership, shareholder and other internal corporate disputes, particularly those arising out of real estate enterprises.
Chuck handles a significant number of cases involving fraudulent conveyance claims and has tried such claims to jury verdict.
Chuck’s representation of builders, developers and contractors includes representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes involving construction defects, title issues and disputes involving tortious interference with business and contractual relations, breach of fiduciary duty and/or duty of loyalty and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Chuck’s representation of real estate professionals includes professional malpractice actions against real estate brokers, appraisers, attorneys, title abstract companies and other licensed professionals. This portion of Chuck’s practice also includes handling claims for unpaid real estate commissions, and representing real estate professionals before administrative agencies such as the Georgia Real Estate Commission and local Boards of Realtors.
Chuck lectures frequently on trends in the real estate industry, including conducting numerous seminars on lender litigation matters, foreclosure issues and fraudulent conveyance claims. In addition, Chuck has spoken to real estate brokers and other professionals providing practical tips on malpractice prevention and other emerging issues in the real estate industry. Chuck has also conducted seminars on how to identify mortgage fraud.
Named a Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyer since 2013, as well as Super Lawyer 2006, 2009 – present, Chuck was named the Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year," 2022 Litigation - Real Estate, Atlanta. He has also been recognized in The Best Lawyers America© since 2014.
Chuck has taught as an adjunct professor at Emory University School of Law. He served as the Chair of the Real Estate Section of the Atlanta Bar Association, as well as Secretary and Treasurer of that Section. In addition, he has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Litigation Section of the Atlanta Bar. Chuck is the Alumni Recruitment Network Coordinator for Georgia on behalf of his alma mater, Villanova University.
After graduating from Villanova University, Chuck obtained his law degree from The Emory University School of Law. Living in Atlanta since 1991, he is married to Christy Van Horn and has three daughters. A track and cross-country runner in college, Chuck continues to support the sport as co-founder of the DeKalb Trailblazers, a youth running club designed to encourage members to enjoy the sport of cross-country. In his spare time, Chuck coaches cross-country and basketball and remains an active runner and avid baseball fan.
- 40%Business Litigation
- 30%Real Estate: Business
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2005
About Charles H. Van Horn
First Admitted: 1994, Georgia
Professional Webpage: http://www.bfvlaw.com/attorneys/charles-h-van-horn
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia, Real Property Section
- Atlanta Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Board of Directors, 2006-2007
- Atlanta Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Secretary, 2008-2012
- Litigation Section, Board of Directors, 2002-2006
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- State Bar of Georgia, Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Atlanta Bar Association, Real Estate SectionChair, 2012-2013
- Judicial Selection & Tenure Committee
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Federal Bar Association
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia, General Practice & Trial Section
- Atlanta Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Board of Directors, 2013-Present
- Atlanta Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Treasurer, 2007-2008
- Georgia, 1994
- Community Bankers Association of Georgia
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Atlanta Bar Association, Lifetime Fellow, Atlanta Bar Foundation, 2016
- In March 2019, Chuck was a featured speaker at the Atlanta Bar Association’s Real Estate Law Section Breakfast. Chuck discussed “Real Estate Jeopardy and Top 5 Mistakes you Might be Making as a Real Estate Practitioner.”
- In October 2017, Chuck presented at a National Business Institute (NBI) video webcast, “Key Cross-Examination Tactics Every Lawyer Must Know.” Chuck discussed rules, research and preparing for the cross-exam.
- In October 2018, Chuck presented at a National Business Institute (NBI) video webcast, “Civil Trial Made Simple.” He discussed the elements of successful opening statements, direct examination essentials and basic cross-examinations tools.
- Chuck spoke on the effective use of mediation strategy in real estate disputes for a presentation by the Atlanta Bar Association, 2012
- In January 2019, Chuck co-presented to Fulton County State and Superior Court Judges and Staff Attorneys on voidable/fraudulent transfers. This presentation was part of a seminar/CLE series hosted by the Fulton County Business Court.
- Chuck spoke on Foreclosure Litigation and Confirmation Hearings before the Atlanta Bar Real Estate Section on March 3, 2011
- FCC Update: New Rules for Businesses that Contact Customers via Phone and Text Message, BFV E-News, July/August, 2015
- Chuck presented “Catch Me If You Can”, a seminar on fraudulent conveyance actions, before the Atlanta Bar Real Estate Section on September 1, 2011
- Chuck was a featured panelist at the State Bar of Georgia “Real Property Foreclosure” seminar in November, 2013
- Chuck spoke on effective closing argument strategies in jury trials for presentation by the ACYL in November, 2013
- Chuck was a featured speaker on the use of receiverships in litigation in February, 2014
- Chuck presented “Real Estate Litigation in Georgia” to attendees at the National Business Institute in December, 2014
- Chuck presented “Real Estate Litigation: The Dirt on Litigating a Real Estate Claim” to members of the Atlanta Bar Association in January, 2015
- Chuck presented “Turning Bad Debt Into Meaningful Recovery” at the Community Bankers Association of Georgia headquarters in Atlanta in August, 2015
- Chuck spoke on an Atlanta Bar Association panel, “Real Estate Litigation Issues" in December, 2015
- Article Published: Rules and Regulations: Are They Becoming Irrelevant in Georgia Courts?, BFV E-News, October, 2012
- Chuck participated in a National Business Institute (NBI) seminar, “The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit (A real-world application of evidence to courtroom events).” Chuck addressed how to keep evidence out (pre and post trial) and the admission/exclusion of unique evidence, April, 2017
- Chuck spoke about “Fraudulent Conveyances” at a statewide seminar organized by the Real Property Section of the Georgia Bar Association, November, 2016
- Chuck was a featured speaker in a National Business Institute (NBI) video webcast, “Building your Pre-Trial Civil Litigation Skills,” May, 2017
- Chuck presented at an Atlanta Bar Association Panel, "Top 10 Tips for an Effective Trial," February, 2016
- In January 2010, obtained jury verdict of $480,000, including punitive damages, in claims for fraud in real estate investment
- Successfully defended real estate broker against claims of concealment and misrepresentation; decision affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully defended real estate broker against claims of discrimination and other conduct; later defended all decisions on appeal. 4 (2008)
- Obtained dismissal on statute of limitations grounds of premises liability claims arising from shooting at a hotel
- Obtained six figure settlement in fraudulent conveyance action in action to set aside multiple transfers of real estate, luxury cars, and other assets
- Obtained dismissal on jurisdictional grounds of federal copyright infringement action brought by copyright troll against website owner who was alleged to have improperly replicated a news -related image from the Denver Post’s website
- In November 2009, obtained jury verdict in excess of $550,000 in fraudulent conveyance lawsuit against son, father and companies they controlled
- In December 2008, obtained jury verdict of over $1,000,000 for developer against general contractor and others for defective construction of townhomes.
- Successfully defended law firm and title agency in claims by national lender for misconduct
- Obtained dismissal for national default service in lawsuit challenging legality of foreclosure
- Obtained favorable settlement of federal lawsuit alleging Fair Housing Act discrimination against extended-stay hotel
- In January 2010, obtained $1,000,000 settlement for family in wrongful death action against trucking company
- Obtained summary judgment for real estate broker against claims of concealment and misrepresentation; decision affirmed on appeal (2006)
- Obtained judgment for $2,850,000 after week long jury trial for lender in case against borrower and related businesses
- Obtained six figure settlement in arbitration against builder for construction defects
- In March 2011, successfully defended developer in foreclosure confirmation hearing against national lender, defeating claims of several hundred thousand dollars
Pro bono/Community Service
- Emory University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, 1998-2002
- American Lung Association, Organizing Committee for Fight for Air Climb (largest annual fundraiser)
- St. Thomas More Society, Member
- Villanova University, Alumni Association, Board Member, Atlanta Chapter, 1998-Present
- Emory University School of Law, Advisor: Real Estate Council
- DeKalb Trailblazers XC, Co-Founder, Cross-country running club for elementary and middle school students in DeKalb County, 2014 – Present
- Villanova University, Alumni Recruitment Network Coordinator, 1998-Present
- Emory University School of Law, Alumni Association, Class Agent, 2002-2004
- Briarlake Elementary School, Founder, Annual 5K & Fun Run, attracting several hundred participants, 2009 – Present
- Villanova University, B.A., cum laude, 1991
- , "Lawyer of the Year," 2022 Litigation - Real Estate, Atlanta, Best Lawyers, 2022
- Super Lawyer, 2015 – 2009
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2012
- Top 100 Super Lawyer in Georgia, 2013 – Present
- Super Lawyers Business Edition (Litigation), 2012 – Present
- Super Lawyer, 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - present
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2011
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2014 – Present
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2009 – Present
- Georgia’s Legal Elite by Georgia Trend magazine, 2012
- Real Estate
- As a proud graduate of the @EmoryLaw Class of 92 and president of the Alumni Board of Emory Law School,… https://t.co/RU6xbfmG1v
- We're looking forward to Charles Van Horn and Katherine Silverman presenting at @NBICLE's upcoming course, “Georgia… https://t.co/XtffDBjG9c
- At today's @atlantabar webinar, The Great Resignation,” we were proud to have BFV's @NonCompeteNealW moderate and… https://t.co/g8EepXc6jb
- Excited for @BenjaminFink to moderate this afternoon's panel, “Navigating Trade Secret Systems in a Rapidly Changin… https://t.co/NHGaIC4fgZ
- #NCAATrademarks: Think Twice Before Advertising “March Madness” Make sure you get a license from the #NCAA before t… https://t.co/PGn5frCwXR
Last Updated: 5/15/2022