Daniel S. Kirschner
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Chicago, IllinoisCorboy & Demetrio
Practice Areas: Personal Injury; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1998
Daniel S. Kirschner is a partner at the Chicago plaintiffs’ law firm of Corboy & Demetrio. Mr. Kirschner represents victims of catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death and medical malpractice. Mr. Kirschner has successfully handled cases against many of the nation’s largest insurance companies and corporations at the pretrial, trial and appellate levels in state and federal court in Illinois and throughout the United States.
Mr. Kirschner concentrates his practice in cases involving aviation disasters; trucking, motor vehicle and highway collisions; railroad crossings and derailments; construction; premises liability; product liability; medical malpractice; pedestrian and bicycle collisions; school and governmental liability; public transportation toxic tort and chemical exposure; crib, toy and other infant and children’s products safety recalls; brain damage and spinal cord injury; hospitality and tourism industry; and liability for third-party criminal acts and sexual assault.
Mr. Kirschner currently serves on the Illinois Supreme Court’s Committee on Jury Instructions in Civil Cases, and previously served appointments to the Illinois Supreme Court’s Rules Committee and Committee on Character and Fitness.
Mr. Kirschner, a staunch advocate for children’s safety, was appointed by Governor Pat Quinn in 2010 to the Illinois Carnival Amusement Safety (CAS) Board where he served for nine years, five of them as Chair of the CAS Board.
Mr. Kirschner has received numerous accolades, including being named to the list of "Leading Lawyers" and "40 Under 40 Attorneys to Watch in Illinois" by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company. Mr. Kirschner also earned the designation of "Super Lawyer" and "Rising Star" by Thomson Reuters. In addition, in 2005 he received the President’s Award for "Advocate of the Year" from the American Cancer Society for his advocacy work in successfully advancing the Chicago Indoor Clean Air Ordinance, known as "Smoke-Free Chicago."
A graduate of IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Mr. Kirschner received the CALI Award from his alma mater for Excellence in the study of medical malpractice. He is a Past-President of the Chicago-Kent Alumni Board of Directors and a recipient of the Young Alumnus Award the Chicago-Kent Law School Association.
Mr. Kirschner is an active member of many bar associations. He is a past Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers Committee of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and served as an investigator for the Chicago Bar Association’s Judicial Evaluation Committee. He has organized, moderated, and lectured at numerous continuing legal education seminars for practicing attorneys and is regularly called upon to judge moot court and trial advocacy competitions.
Mr. Kirschner has served on the boards and committees of numerous community, charitable and educational institutions, including American Cancer Society, Chicago Community Trust, Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Lawyers Lend-A-Hand, Greater Chicago Food Depository, Onward Neighborhood House, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, University of Chicago Laboratory Schools and K.A.M. Isaiah Israel Congregation.
Read more about Corboy & Demetrio:
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Assault, Brain Injury, Dram Shop Laws, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1998, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.corboydemetrio.com/attorneys-daniel-kirschner
- Illinois Carnival Amusement Safety Board, Chair, 2012-2015
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, President, 2009-2011
- Onward Neighborhood House, Gala Committee, 2006
- University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, Alumni Leadership Committee, 2006-2011; Annual Giving Chair, 2008-2011
- Greater Chicago Food Depository, 13th Annual Bag Hunger Auction, Host Committee, 2006
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Alumni Board of Directors, President, 2009-2011; Member, 2003-present; Executive Board, 2004-present; Scholarship Committee Chair, 2008-present; Fundraising Committee Chair, 2004-2008
- Chicago Community Trust, Young Leaders Fund, Grant Maker, 2001-2002
- 42nd Ward Democratic Party Finance Committee, 2008-present; Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Lend-A-Hand Program, Leadership Board, 2004-present; American Cancer Society, Chicago Regional Community Leadership Board - 2004-present, Vice-Chair - 2008-present, Executive Board - 2004-present, Advocacy Committee Chair - 2006-2008, Vice-Chair - 2004-2006; Chicago Community Trust, Young Leaders Fund, Grant Maker, 2001-2002; IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Alumni Board of Directors - 2003-present, Executive Board - 2004-present, Scholarship Committee Chair - 2008-present, Fundraising Committee Chair - 2004-2008; Greater Chicago Food Depository, 13th Annual Bag Hunger Auction, Host Committee, 2006; Onward Neighborhood House, Gala Committee, 2006; University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, Alumni Leadership Committee - 2006-present, Annual Giving Chair - 2007-present.
- American Cancer Society, Chicago Regional Community Leadership Board, 2004-2013; Chair, 2010-2012; Executive Board, 2004-present; Advocacy Committee Chair, 2006-2008; Vice-Chair, 2004-2006; Illinois Division Board, 2011-2012
- Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Lend-A-Hand Program, Leadership Board, 2004-2008
- Illinois Carnival Amusement Safety Board, 2010-present
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Jury Instructions in Civil Cases, Member
- , Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2023
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Recipient of William J. Harte Amicus Volunteer Award, 2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2012-present
- Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Lend-A-Hand Program, Leadership Board; American Cancer Society, Advocate of the Year, President's Award, 2005; American Cancer Society, Chicago Regional Community, Leadership Board; Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Investigator, 2003; "40 Under 40 Illinois Attorneys to Watch;" 2003 IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, CALI Award for Excellence in the Study of Medical Malpractice, 1998; IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Alumni Board of Directors; Illinois Supreme Court Rules Committee, Member; Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness, Commissioner, 1999-2002; Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2008 - 2010; IIT Chicago-Kent Law School Association, Young Alumnus Award, 2003; University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, Alumni Leadership Committee.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), Member
- U.S. Supreme Court Historical Society
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Central Districts of Illinois, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness, Board of Admissions to the Bar, Commissioner: 1999 - 200
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules Committee, 2003-present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) Member, Amicus Committee, 1998-present; Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Committee, 2002-2003
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), formerly known as Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA), Scoring Judge, 2003 Student Trial Advocacy Competition; Scoring Judge, 2000 Student Trial Advocacy Competition; Member, Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway and Premises Liability Section, 1999-present
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Investigator, Judicial Evaluation Committee, 2003; Fellow, CBA College of Trial Lawyers, 2001; Scoring Judge, 20th Annual Moot Court Competition, 2001; Seminar Planner and Moderator, "Collecting on Judgments", 2001; Special Project Coordinator, Young Lawyers Section, 2001-2002; Executive Counsel, Young Lawyers Section, 2001-2002
- American Bar Association (ABA), Member
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, B.A., 1994
- Obtained a confidential settlement for a Chicago woman who was raped by a man she met on dating site Match.com --- two years after another woman had warned Match.com that the same man had raped her. Read More, 2016
- Obtained a settlement of $1.3 million on behalf of an injured 35-year-old Chicago woman who was a passenger aboard a CTA bus which braked abruptly, causing the woman to suffer a broken hip. The CTA bus was traveling south on LaSalle Street in Chicago’s Loop when it was cut off by a right-turning taxicab, forcing the bus driver to make a hard stop, causing the woman, who was standing in the aisle, to slip and fall. , 2015
- Obtained a $1.75 settlement for the Estate of a 16-year-old high school student, on his way to school, who had exited one bus to catch another when he walked across the street against the light, waited for traffic to clear and was struck by another school bus., 2008
- Obtained a $10 million settlement for the estate of a 25-year-old woman who was severely brain injured when she was struck by a car while crossing Green Bay Road in Evanston after leaving a bus., 2007
- Dan obtained a $5.25 settlement in the death of a flight attendant who was killed in the crash of a corporate plane near Wheeling's airport. , 2004
- Evenflo Company and Sears Roebuck & Company agreed to a $2.6 million settlement for the wrongful death of 8-month-old Jared Adams. The settlement is the highest paid in Cook County, Illinois, for the death of a child under the age of one year. , 2003
- Obtained a $3.6 million settlement for a 56-year-old truck driver who suffered career-ending injuries when a forklift ran over his legs in Chicago.
- Dan has obtained over $60 million in verdicts and settlements for his clients. A sampling of his cases includes a $15.8 million verdict on behalf of a young woman seriously injured in a car crash; a $10 million settlement for a woman injured when she was hit by a car as she crossed the street; and a $5.25 million settlement for the estate of a flight attendant killed in a small plane crash. For a more complete sampling of verdicts and settlements secured by Dan, visit Corboy & Demetrio's "Record of Success."
- 29th Annual Product Liability Conference, Speaker, "Product Liability--A Plaintiff's Attorney Perspective", University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2017
- Ethics and Professionalism Seminar, Speaker, "Managing and Addressing Conflicts", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2015
- Update & Review Seminar, Speaker, "Transportation Negligence", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2014
- Update and Review Seminar, Speaker, "Transportation Negligence", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- Economic Landscape Affect on the Practice and Perception of Law, Speaker, "How Senior Leaders Adjust to Economic Change and the Impact of Their Decision on You", Young Executives Club, 2009
- Trial Journal, Author, "Navigating Section 41 - CTA Notice Requirement", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Liens and Settlements Seminar, Speaker, "Subrogation, Healthcare Claims", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Evidence Seminar, Speaker, "Privilege Issues", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2007
- Civil Litigation Seminar, Speaker, "Proper Parties, Amended Complaints, Relation Back Doctrine", Illinois State Bar Association, 2006
- Update and Review Seminar, Speaker, "Common Carrier Liability", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- Past Presidents Seminar, Speaker, "Special Settlement Problems", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2004
- Settlement on Settlements Seminar, Speaker, "Handling Liens", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2004
- Motor Vehicle Cases from A to Z, Speaker, "Subrogation and Common Fund Doctrine", Illinois State Bar Association, 2003
- Corboy & Demetrio Files Lawsuit in Alleged Rape of 13-year-old Student during School Field Triphttps://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/aurora-beacon-news/ct-abn-lawsuit-13-year-old-girl-sexual-assault-aurora-st-1018-20191017-sd6a75gaufe35nrabf2js6bpzi-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0iXLnj9xwXbpPDhqMvYNJPXQbVW1Mq3-TBz1Fsq1Lbc3K_1nfCoZH2oVQ, 2019
- Profiled in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin for his successful defeat of two attempts by Match.com to dismiss a complaint filed on behalf of rape victim who was introduced to her attacker on Match.com.
Office location for Daniel S. Kirschner
33 North Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60602
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2024
- Rising Stars: 2008 - 2011