Michelle M. Kohut
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
Selected to Rising Stars: 2008 - 2013
Michelle joined Corboy & Demetrio in 2004 and was named Partner in 2019. She has tried many personal injury cases to verdict and has obtained numerous multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of her clients. In 2013, Michelle obtained a $1.6 million settlement for a school crossing guard who was struck and injured by a day care bus. In 2012, Michelle obtained a $2 million settlement for a Chicago pedestrian who was struck and injured by a garbage truck. In another case, she secured a $2 million settlement on behalf of a roofing foreman who fell through a hole in a roof, fracturing his heel.
Michelle is very active in local and national bar associations, including the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, where she served as President for 2013-2014; the Illinois State Bar Association, where, since 2016, Michelle has served as a member of the Tort Law Section Council; the Chicago Bar Association; and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
Since 2020, Michelle has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America in the area of personal injury litigation, and in its 2022 Edition, she was also selected in the area of Workers' Compensation - Claimants.
Also, in 2021, Michelle was selected to Illinois Super Lawyers in the area of personal injury litigation for the 8th consecutive year. In addition, Michelle was selected to "Salute! Top 50 Women in Law" by Chicago Lawyer magazine and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin for 2021.
Since 2019, Michelle has been selected to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers, a highly-selective group of trial attorneys from across the country. She was named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100, which comprises the top trial lawyers out of both civil plaintiff and criminal defense, in 2020 for the second year in a row.
Since 2014, Michelle has been named an Illinois Leading Lawyer, a designation earned by only 5% of attorneys in the state.
In 2014, the National Law Journal honored Michelle for her accomplishments in law by recognizing her in "Two Steps Forward: Leading Women in Law."
Michelle was honored by the Chicago Bar Association's Alliance For Women Alta May Hulett Award in 2013 for her work in helping women in the legal profession. In 2007, in recognition of her success, hard work and community involvement, she was named one of "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Michelle has served as President of Women Everywhere - Partners in Service Project, Inc., a community service project that helps women and children in need and introduces teenage girls to the legal profession. She has also served on the Board of Directors of Heartland International Health Center, which is dedicated to improving the health of persons in Chicago-area communities by providing affordable, quality and multilingual health services.
A graduate of Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Michelle was a Judicial Law Clerk to William D. Maddux, Presiding Judge of the Law Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County, prior to joining Corboy & Demetrio.
Read more about Corboy & Demetrio:
- 50%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 50%Workers' Compensation: Claimant
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2008 - 2013
About Michelle M. Kohut
First Admitted: 2002, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.corboydemetrio.com/attorneys-michelle-kohut.html
- WilPower, Political Action Committee of WBAI, Chair, 2008-2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2002
- Illinois, 2002
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- American Association for Justice, formerly known as the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- U.S. Supreme Court Historical Society
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), Tort Law Section Council, 2016-Present
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI), President, 2013-Present, Treasurer, 2009, Board of Directors, 2007-present, Civil Litigation Committee, Co-Chair, 2005-2007, Nominating Committee, 2007
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Hearing Officer 2011-Present; Judicial Evaluation Committee, Investigator, 2005-Present; Student Trial Advocacy Competition 2007, Chicago Regional, Scoring Judge
Pro bono/Community Service
- Women Everywhere - Partners in Service, Inc., President, 2009-2010; Board of Directors, 2007-Present; Planning Committee, 2005-Present
- Loyola Chicago Women's Law Society, Panel Member 2010
- Heartland International Health Center, Board of Directors, 2008-2009
- Loyola University, Chicago, IL, B.A., 1996, 1996
- Loyola University School of Law, Chicago, IL, J.D., 2002, 2002
- Institute for Paralegal Studies, Loyola University, Chicago, IL, Certificate in Paralegal Studies, 1997, 1997
- Attorney Kohut from Corboy & Demetrio helped to secure a $2 million settlement on behalf of a Chicago woman who was hit by a garbage truck in the city’s River North neighborhood. The truck was driven by Augustus Dortch, who along with his employer Lakeshore Waste Services, were defendants in the lawsuit. The settlement, secured the day the trial was set to begin, was approved by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Elizabeth Budzinski on Jan. 10, 2012., 2012
- The Chicago law firm of Corboy & Demetrio has obtained a $1.6 million settlement on behalf of a school crossing guard who was struck in the head by the mirror of a bus owned by the national day care center, La Petite Academy. The crossing guard, 59-year-old Dale Strzyz, was working for the Village of Grayslake Police Department as a Community Service Officer directing traffic when she was struck on Nov. 29, 2011. Corboy & Demetrio lawyer Michelle M. Kohut, who represented Strzyz, said, “Ms. Strzyz enjoyed working as a community service officer; however, due to her post-concussive symptoms, she can never return to this kind of active line of work.”, 2013
- Attorney Kohur from Corboy & Demetrio secured a $2 million settlement for a roofer who fractured his heel while working on a construction site was featured in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin., 2007
- After two days of trial, a $5 million settlement was reached in the Circuit Court of Cook County in a case where the hospital and doctor failed to deliver a baby when the mother presented with complaints of bleeding and abdominal pain. When finally delivered, the baby had suffered severe brain damage due to blood loss and a lack of oxygen. The family was represented at trial by attorney Michelle Kohut.
- Personal Injury from A to Z, Speaker, Liens and Subrogation, New Business Institute, 2019
- Keynote Speaker, Installation Dinner of the Association of Women Attorneys in Lake County, Women's Bar Association of Illinois, 2015
- Alumni Spotlight, Author, The Networking Path of A Rambler, Loyola Law School, 2014
- Saint Louis University Law School, Speaker, Diversity in the Legal Profession and the Impact of Statutory Amendments in the Advancement of Women, Women's Bar Association of Illinois, 2014
- Saint Louis University Law School, Presenter, CLE presentation, Women's Bar Association of Illinois, 2014
- Women in Litigation Conference, Speaker, Women in the Profession: Where We Are Now, Loyola University Chicago Law School, 2012
- Procedure Update - CLE Seminar, Presenter, Discovery at Civil Practice, Illinois State Bar Association , 2011
- Chicago Regional Student Trial Advocacy Competition, Judge, Chicago Bar Association, 2007
- Student Trial Advocacy Competition, Judge, American Association for Justice, 2005
- Speaker, First Annual Women in the Law Symposium, John Marshall Law School
- Michelle Kohut was selected to The Best Lawyers in America, 2022 Edition, in the areas of Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs and Workers’ Compensation – Claimants., The Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News - Best Lawyers, 2022
- Michelle was selected to "Salute! Top 50 Women in Law" by Chicago Lawyer magazine and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin in 2021., Top 50 Women in Law, Chicago Lawyer magazine and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2021 Edition, in the area of Plaintiffs - Personal Injury, U.S. News, 2021
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, 2020 Edition, Lawdragon, 2020
- "Two Steps Forward: Leading Women in Law," National Law Journal, 2014; St. Robert Bellarmine Award, Loyola Law School, 2014; "40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch," 2008; Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star, 2008; Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Investigator; Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Treasurer, Board of Directors; Women's Bar Association of Illinois, WilPower, Chair.
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois: President, 2013-2014
- National Law Journal, Two Steps Forward: Leading Women in Law - 2014
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers, 2019
- Illinois Super Lawyer, 2014-present; Rising Star, 2008-2013
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, 2014 - present
- Chicago Bar Association: Alliance For Women Alta May Hulett Award, 2013
- “40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch," Law Bulletin Publishing, 2007
- Congratulations to Corboy & Demetrio Managing Partner Ken Lumb on being selected to Illinois @SuperLawyers for 2022… https://t.co/WOZLcMFQEb
- Congratulations to Corboy & Demetrio CFO Marcy Twardak who will receive The Award for Excellence in the Field of La… https://t.co/hglJSVW0SL
- @USA_IC @mobilityworks @EliteCareMgmt Congratulations on a great event! We were proud to be a sponsor!
Last Updated: 8/11/2022