Stephen C. Carleton
Top rated business litigation attorney in Baton Rouge, LouisianaCarleton Shoenfelt & Chapman
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Civil rights, Environmental litigation; view more
Licensed in Louisiana since: 1984
Attorney Stephen C. Carleton is a partner at Carleton Shoenfelt & Chapman, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Mr. Carleton practices in the areas of business litigation, civil litigation defense, civil rights, construction litigation, employment litigation defense, environmental/oil and gas industry defense, and state, local and municipal law. He serves clients throughout the Baton Rouge region.
Mr. Carleton has over 35 years of litigation and trial experience, including over thirty jury trials and over 300 Judge trial through out the State of Louisiana in almost every Parish with a State District courthouse. Over his time in practice since October of 1984, Mr. Carleton has successfully tried numerous bench and jury trials, and has arbitrated or mediated numerous other legal disputes involving all types of matters from ordinary contract and personal injury matters to cases involving complex legal issues. His clients include individuals, business owners, manufacturers, sellers, and many high-profile businesses as well as City/Parish municipalities and various governing divisions of the State of Louisiana.
In honor of his accomplishments, Martindale-Hubbell awarded Mr. Carleton its highest possible peer review rating of AV Preeminent*. In addition, the Baton Rouge Bar Association awarded him their century award for his pro bono legal services and their President’s Award for his service to the Baton Rouge Bar Association Education Committee.
Mr. Carleton is an active member of the Baton Rouge Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, the Downtown Development District of Baton Rouge and the Louisiana Historical Society. He is a former President of the Baton Rouge (Downtown) Kiwanis Club and is a member of the University College Advisory Board at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
After earning a bachelor’s degree from Louisiana State University, Mr. Carleton received his law degree from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center. He is qualified to practice before all Louisiana state courts and all of the Federal District Courts in Louisiana, The United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and The Supreme Court of the United States.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Civil rights, Environmental litigation, Construction litigation: business, Employment litigation: defense, State, local & municipal
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Americans with disabilities act, Police misconduct, Race discrimination, Discrimination, Construction defects, Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, State, local & municipal litigation
- 30% Business litigation
- 20% Civil rights
- 20% Environmental litigation
- 10% Construction litigation: business
- 10% Employment litigation: defense
- 10% State, local & municipal
First Admitted: 1984, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.lawfirmbr.com/attorney/stephen-c-carleton/
- The Cato Corporation
- The Rawlings Company
- One Stone Auto LLC
- CITGO Petroleum Corp.
- Central Management Company
- Crawfish, LLC
- Trademark Property Company
- Mazda North American Operations
- Mitsubishi Motors North America
- Suzuki Motors of America, Inc.
- East Baton Rouge Parish/City of Baton Rouge Consolidated Government and various individual Current or former law enforcement officers employed by the Baton Rouge Police Department, The Cato Corporation, Central Management Company, Diesel Driving Academy, Inc., Hartford Insurance Company.
- Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
- Gallagher Bassett Claims Management, 2020
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member
- Past Chair, and Member Baton Rouge Bar Association, Youth Education Committee
- Member, Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- Louisiana, 1984
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- Member, Baton Rouge Downtown Development District
- Hazelwood Farm, Inc. v. Liberty Oil & Gas Corp., 02-266 (La. App. 3 Cir 04/02/03)
- Numerous business formations, including Louisiana Limited Liability Companies ("LLC"), "C" and "S" Corporations, 501 (c) (3) Non-Profit Corporations, Operating Agreements and Articles of Incorporation, as well as Personal Last Wills and Testaments for individual clients
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, B.A., 1981
- 1994-present Service to Louisiana State Penitentiary as volunteer Lay Christian minister as part of the Kairos prison ministry; 1994-present Member First United Methodist Church, past Member of the Administrative Board, Pastor-Parish Relations committee: 2016-present Member of the Advisory Board to Louisiana State University; University College; 1998-Present, Member and Past President of the Baton Rouge (Downtown) Kiwanis Service Club; 2019-present, Member of the Advisory Board of Theatre Baton Rouge, 2021
- AV by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2021
- President's Award Recipient from the Baton Rouge Bar Association for Pro Bono Service to the Community; 1998- Century Award from the Baton Rouge Bar Association for Pro Bono Service to the Community, Baton Rouge Bar Association, 2011
- Member, First United Methodist Church, Former Member of Administrative Board and of Pastor-Parish Relations Committee, 2021
- Member and Past President of the Baton Rouge “Downtown” Kiwanis Club , 2021
- Member, Historical Society of Louisiana, Baton Rouge, 2021
- Louisiana Corporate and LLC members and managers
- Oil and gas industry producers
- State and Parish governmental subdivisions
Office location for Stephen C. Carleton
400 Convention St
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023