Maria A. Cestone
Top rated estate planning & probate attorney in Morristown, New JerseyCoughlin Midlige & Garland LLP
Practice Areas: Estate planning & probate, Business & corporate, Closely held business; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1997
Education: Seton Hall University School of Law
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Attorney Maria A. Cestone is Of Counsel with Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP in Morristown, New Jersey. Ms. Cestone devotes her practice to trust and estate planning, business law, charitable planning, estate administration and taxation.
Ms. Cestone earned a bachelor’s degree in economics and political science from Drew University. She received her law degree from Seton Hall University School of Law, a Master of Law degree in taxation from Boston University School of Law and holds an active law license in New Jersey and before the U.S. Tax Court.
Before joining CMG, she was a founding shareholder of Cestone & Thompson P.C. and practiced in the estate, tax and trust department of a private firm. She also gained early legal experience clerking for a New Jersey Superior Court judge.
Ms. Cestone has more than 20 years of experience. Over the course of her career, she has represented individuals, corporations and fiduciaries on a variety of business, estate planning and taxation matters. She is active in the New Jersey State Bar Association’s probate and trust law, and real property and taxation sections and belongs to The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners. She also previously served on the Supreme Court of New Jersey’s ethics committee.
In addition to her practice, Ms. Cestone lectures and writes on business and estate planning topics. She holds several community roles, including serving on the board of directors and as secretary of the executive board of the Tahirih Justice Center.
Practice areasEstate planning & probate, Business/corporate, Closely held business, Estate & trust litigation, Nonprofit organizations, Tax: business
Estate planning, Guardianships & conservatorships, Living wills, Power of attorney, Probate & estate administration, Trusts, Limited liability companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter s corporations, Contracts, Business organizations, Will contests, Non-profit & tax-exempt organizations, Tax law
- 50% Estate planning & probate
- 10% Business/corporate
- 10% Closely held business
- 10% Estate & trust litigation
- 10% Nonprofit organizations
- 10% Tax: business
First Admitted: 1997, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.cmg.law/professionals/maria-a-cestone
- Cestone, Maria. A Cautionary Tale for Estate Fiduciaries and Beneficiaries of Estates with Closely Held Business Interests. New Jersey State Bar Association – Business Law Section Newsletter (discussing U.S. v. Johnson et al. (U.S.D.C. Utah) Memorandum decision dated May 23, 2012) (Fall 2012 Newsletter)
- Estate Administration Seminar, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), 2008
- Closely-Held Business Seminar, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), 2009
- Probate Seminar, New Jersey State Bar Association Convention, 2011
- Estate Planning and Administration Seminar, New Jersey Law Journal, 2011
- “Director and Officer Liability,” “Form 990,” and “Ethics,” Tax Exempt Entities From Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2012
- “International Estate Planning,” Estate Planning for Special Situations, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), 2015, 2011
- “Form 1023,” “Board Governance and Liability,” and “Ethics,” Advanced Tax Exempt Organization Strategies, National Business Institute, 2015
- “Estate Planning from A to Z,” Estate Planning and Business Succession Planning, National Business Institute, 2016
- “Trusts 101,” National Business Institute, 2017
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Member
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Tahirih Justice Center, Executive Board, Secretary
- Bergen County Estate Planning Council, Member
- Tahirih Justice Center, Board of Directors, Member, 2014
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ethics Committee, Member
- New Jersey
- New Jersey Bar Association, Real Property Trust & Estate Law Section, Board of Consultors, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section and the Section of Taxation), Member Secretary, 2022
- U.S. Tax Court
- Drew University, Major: Economics and Political Science, 1993
- J.D. Seton Hall University School of Law, 1996
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M., Major: Taxation, 2000
Office location for Maria A. Cestone
350 Mt. Kemble Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2006 - 2010