Michael A. Cataldo
Top Rated Bankruptcy Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
- Free Consultation
A dedicated bankruptcy attorney at the law firm of Gellert, Scali, Busenkell & Brown, LLC, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Michael A. Cataldo has helped thousands of clients who are overburdened by their seemingly insurmountable financial burdens across Bucks, Chester, Montgomery and Delaware counties and throughout Philadelphia.
With 35 years of legal experience, Mr. Cataldo has represented debtors, creditors, trustees, landlords, employers and municipalities in a variety of sophisticated matters, including filing for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy, liquidation, bankruptcy discharge litigation, creditor harassment, repossessions, foreclosures, mortgages, asset protection, wage garnishments and more.
Senior Board-certified as a specialist in bankruptcy law by the American Bankruptcy Institute for over 30 years, Mr. Cataldo is honored with many awards and accolades as a result of his accomplishments. He holds a “Superb” client rating on Avvo and is AV Preeminent* peer-review rated, * the highest rating, through Martindale-Hubbell. Furthermore, he was listed in the Top Lawyers in Pennsylvania by Legal Network in 2013. He was Selected by the Three Best Bankruptcy Lawyers by Three Best in Philadelphia. He was Selected to Super Lawyers in 2010, 2021 and 2022.
A 1984 Bachelor of Science graduate of Villanova University, Mr. Cataldo attended Temple University in Philadelphia to pursue law. He obtained his Juris Doctor degree in 1987 and became authorized to practice in all the state courts of Pennsylvania the same year. Additionally, he is qualified to appear before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Cataldo is a respected and valuable contributor to his legal community. He maintains active memberships in organizations such as the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Temple Law Alumni Association and the Philadelphia Bar Association.
An enthusiastic speaker and talented writer, Mr. Cataldo presents to different audiences on topics related to bankruptcy and has written extensively for many prominent publications. He has also shared his insights and experiences on TV shows and other media. He is a former professor at Peirce College, and he functioned as an attorney for the Philadelphia Parking Authority and members of Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Michael A. Cataldo is a debt relief agent. He helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
- 70%Bankruptcy: Consumer
- 30%Bankruptcy: Business
- Super Lawyers: 2010, 2021 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Michael A. Cataldo
First Admitted: 1987, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.gsbblaw.com/team/michael-a-cataldo/
- Member of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Temple University School of Law-JD, 1987
- Villanova University-BS, 1984
- Board Certification, Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney, American Bankruptcy Institute, 1991
- Distinguished Lawyer, Distinguished, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016
- Top Lawyers in Pennsylvania, Top Lawyers in Pennsylvania, The Legal Network, 2013
- Bankruptcy Board Certification in Consumer bankruptcy cases, 1993
- In re : Karen Abruzzo 99-14011 successfully defended S&S Family Partnership against debtor's lien strip or cramdown efforts under 11 USC 506, 1999
- In Re: Stanley and Rena Straighter 95-16948 Eastern District of Pennsylvania Successfully argued that Rena Straighter could not be found nodes charged to a lender via imputed liability from her husband's representations thus the nodes chargeability against the husband only protected the property of the debtors under the tenants by the entireties laws of PA, 1995
- Adamar of NJ vs Linda August LEXIS, 2011
- The Essentials of Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Practice, Speaker, The Essentials of Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Practice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2017
- Addressed Summer Interns per request of Judge Mayer concerning bankruptcy practice as a debtor's attorney, Speaker, Addressed Judicial Summer Interns, Eastern District Bankruptcy Judge , 2021
- Fall Dinner- lecture, Speaker, Chapter 20 cases, Eastern District of Pa Bankruptcy conference, 2011
- Spring Event-Law Firm sponsored CLE, Speaker, The 341 Meeting, Spring Event, 2017
- Definition of Surrender, Speaker/Material Preparer, Definition of Surrender, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, 2017
- How to Grow Your Practice Ethically, Speaker, How to Grow Your Practice Ethically, Bar Institute, 2016
- Discussion and lecture on new bankruptcy forms, Speaker, A brand New Day, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2016
- Bankruptcy Overview, speaker/material preparer, Essentials of Chapter 7 and Chapter 13, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2015
- Basic track of seminar with overview for paralegals or inexperienced practitioners, Speaker, Basic Track, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2013
- Interview and Schedule Preparation, speaker/material preparer, Interview and Schedule Preparation, E Dist of Pa Bankruptcy Conference, 2012
- Ten Things You Need to Know About Chapter 13 Cases, Speaker, Ten Things You Need to Know About Chapter 13 Cases, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2011
- The Basics of Chapter 13, Speaker, The Basics of Chapter 13, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2010
- The Role of the Paralegal, Speaker, The Role of the Paralegal, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2008
- Successful Chapter 13 Plans, Speaker, Successful Chapter 13 Plans, American Bankruptcy Institute, 2007
- Serial Filings, Speaker, Serial Filings, Debtor Bar Roundtable, 2005
- Achieving a Successful Chapter 13 Discharge, Speaker, Achieving a Successful Chapter 13 Discharge, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2002
- Ethical Considerations and Issues, Speaker, Ethical Considerations and Issues, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2000
- Ethical Issues for Debtor's Counsel, Speaker, Ethical Issues for Debtor's Counsel, Eastern District Of Pa Bankruptcy Conference, 2000
- Was a member of a three attorney panel discussing bankruptcy and answering caller questions, speaker/panelist, Bankruptcy, Allentown Television Program, 1999
- Reaffirmation, Surrender and Redemption, Speaker, Reaffirmation, Surrender and Redemption, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 1999
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Thomson Reuters Lead Counsel Verified, 2022
- Three Best Rated, 2017
- Super Lawyer, 2022
- Super Lawyer, 2021
- Super Lawyer, 2010
Last Updated: 5/15/2022