Brett M. Chisum
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Dallas, TX
Brett M. Chisum joined McCathern in 2012 after graduating with honors from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law and was named a partner in 2019. Brett handles a wide variety of both transactional and litigation matters, including drafting company agreements, providing regulatory compliance, pursuing and defending claims based on breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation, commercial real estate litigation, business disputes concerning shareholders, negligence, violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, RICO actions, and first-party bad faith litigation.
In particular, Brett represents property owners that suffer damage arising from wind and hail storms, and has successfully obtained millions of dollars for his clients to assist in the repair efforts. In a notable example, Brett’s work on behalf of his client Dunhill Partners contributed to the successful defeat of two motions for summary judgement which eventually resulted in a confidential settlement (see full story here). In a separate 2018 case, Brett successfully represented a commercial property owner that suffered severe hail damage to a multifamily property that also reached a confidential settlement.
In addition to his work on transactional and litigation matters, Brett is part of McCathern’s Banking & Mortgage Section, where he focuses on regulatory compliance in the consumer financial services industry. He has provided guidance to his clients regarding the sweeping regulatory changes that occurred with the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. This included providing legal opinions and drafting various mortgage instruments and disclosures to ensure compliance with the new and updated federal regulations. Brett has also provided counsel in regards to judicial and non-judicial foreclosures, Regulations X and Z, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, and more. In addition to residential real estate work, Brett’s work in this section includes representing land developers and financial institutions in litigation involving commercial real estate and commercial leases.
Brett practices in both Federal (all four judicial districts) and State court, and has obtained favorable outcomes representing clients including professional sports franchises, hospitality companies, C-Level executives, commercial property management companies, transportation companies, small businesses, and individuals.
Brett was named to the Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. In 2019, Brett was also named to the Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars Up and Coming 100 attorneys in Texas, which recognizes the state’s top Rising Stars. He is a member of the Dallas Bar Association (DBA), Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL) and has served on the advisory board of the Carr Cares Foundation charity founded by Dallas Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr.
- 50%Business Litigation
- 20%Insurance Coverage
Limited Liability Companies, Contracts, Business Organizations, Bad Faith Insurance
- Rising Stars: 2016 - 2022
About Brett M. Chisum
First Admitted: 2012, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://mccathernlaw.com/attorney/brett-chisum/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Advisory Board, Carr Cares Foundation
- Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- West Texas A&M University, 2004
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, 2012
- Cowboys Stadium, L.P. v. Suite Football Dreams, LLC and Jonathan Frankel, Cause No. 017-287183-16 in the 17th District Court, Tarrant County, Texas. Obtained $1,200,000.00 judgment against Suite Football Dreams, LLC for breach of contract., 2018
- Shea Renaissance, LLC v. Peleus Insurance Company, Civil Action No. 4:17-CV-867-A, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth Division. Represented commercial property owner in dispute over severe hail damage to multifamily property. Reached confidential settlement., 2018
- Cause No. 15-02287-158, National Land Records, LLC v. JP Morgan Chase Bank N.A., PeirsonPatterson, LLP and Digital Docs, Inc., in the 158th Judicial District, Denton County, Texas. Represented PeirsonPatterson, LLP and Digital Docs, Inc. Obtained summary judgment against Plaintiff's mult-million dollar breach of contract claim., 2016
- State Automobile Mutual Insurance Company v. Dunhill Partners, Inc., d/b/a Dunhill Property Management, et al. Civil Action No. 3:12-cv-03770-P, in the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division
- Cowboys Stadium, L.P. v. Pasco, Inc. Cause No. 348-258337-12; In the 348th Judicial District Court, Tarrant County, Texas
- LifeLock, 2019
- Cowboys Stadium, L.P.
- 2020 Super Lawyers Rising Star, Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- 2019 Top 100 Up and Coming Rising Stars selection., Top 100 Up and Coming, Super Lawyers, 2019
- 2019 Super Lawyers Rising Star, Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2019
- 2018 Super Lawyers Rising Star, Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2018
- 2017 Super Lawyers Rising Star, Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2017
- 2016 Super Lawyers Rising Star, Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016
- First Party Bad Faith Claims
- General Business
Last Updated: 5/15/2022