Robert D. McCutcheon
Top Rated Intellectual Property Attorney in Dallas, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2004
Robert D. McCutcheon is an attorney at Munck Wilson Mandala and represents clients in Dallas, Texas. As a partner in the firm’s intellectual property/technology law group, he is also on the executive committee for the broader firm group. With over two decades of experience, he handles a long list of legal issues, including the following: venture capital and private equity, trademarks, trade dress and domain name, trade secrets, restrictive covenants and unfair competition, technology transactions, patents, mergers and acquisitions, media and first amendment litigation, inter partes reviews, intellectual property litigation, IP portfolio management and counseling, IP due diligence, IP audits and legal opinions, and copyrights.
A graduate of the University of Iowa with a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering, Mr. McCutcheon also earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Dallas in 2002 with the highest honors. Between those two degrees, Mr. McCutcheon obtained his Juris Doctor, graduating cum laude from Saint Louis University School of Law in 1993.
Mr. McCutcheon is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas and the United States Patent and Trademark office. He is also admitted to practice in the State courts of both Texas and Missouri.
Before joining the firm, Mr. McCutchen worked for an international semiconductor company as its IP counsel. He has defended handset manufacturers, vinyl and composite sheet manufacturers and fiber optics connector manufacturers during his career.
About Robert D. McCutcheon
First Admitted: 1993, Missouri
Professional Webpage: https://www.munckwilson.com/attorney/robert-d-mccutcheon/
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2004-2005, 2008-2019
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Texas, 1994
- Missouri, 1993
- B.S.E.E., University of Iowa, 1987; M.B.A., University of Dallas, 2002
- Rendered legal opinions of non-infringement and invalidity for patents-in-suit asserted against a medical device manufacturer. Defend fiber optics connector manufacturer in patent infringement action; successfully sought and obtained a USPTO order for reexamination of all claims in the patent-in-suit resulting in amended reexamination claims foreclosing plaintiff's multi-million dollar damages claim; and obtained a jury verdict on non-infringement. Representing a plaintiff semiconductor company in action for patent infringement, misappropriations of trade secrets and breach of confidentiality claims against a large semiconductor manufacturer. Defend manufacturer of vinyl and composite sheet piling for seawall and bulkhead retaining systems in patent infringement action; successfully sought and obtained a USPTO order for reexamination of all claims in a patent-in-suit and a stay of the action pending reexamination and resulting in amended reexamination claims foreclosing plaintiff's multi-million dollar damages claim. Responsible for domestic and foreign patent procurement for major telecommunications equipment manufacturer, and major semiconductor manufacturer. Successfully enforced service mark rights of Spanish-language radio broadcasting company in infringement action; defendant settled for license. Responsible for procurement and enforcement of worldwide trademark portfolio for US-based children's toy and furniture manufacturer.
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Registration No. 38,717, 1994
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office - Registration No. 38,717, 1994
- At MWM, we are known for being an IP Powerhouse. Discover how we are uniquely qualified to serve you and understand… https://t.co/bP6idYi0aK
- Congratulations to MWM's Greg Howison for being recognized as a 2022 Patent Star. Learn more about Greg:… https://t.co/qbZgDWfYN3
- We are proud to be a title sponsor of the D CEO Women’s Leadership Symposium! Don't miss hearing from MWM's Jenny M… https://t.co/NierAcg1Gq
- Clients know that MWM's #litigation team understands trademark and copyright #law, and has a vast understanding of… https://t.co/P55Eh8h8gz
- MWM's Alison Battiste rocks her first year as the @DallasBarAssoc Summer Law Internship Program (SLIP) chair. SLIP… https://t.co/krvajekRQJ
Last Updated: 5/15/2022