Michael S. Lieberman
Top rated business litigation attorney in Alexandria, VirginiaDiMuroGinsberg P.C.
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Professional liability, Appellate
Licensed in Virginia since: 1980
Michael S. Lieberman is a founding partner of DiMuroGinsberg and a member of the firm’s litigation team. He has 35 years’ experience in the litigation of complex criminal and civil matters, with particular emphasis and success in appellate matters. Mr. Lieberman spent the early years of his career honing his skills as a criminal litigator, concentrating mostly on constitutional claims. His practice has since evolved to include commercial litigation in the areas of business conspiracy, RICO, copyright and trademark litigation and the litigation of wrongful death claims, especially police involved shootings. Mr. Lieberman also assists attorneys involved in professional negligence matters.
First Admitted: 1980, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.dimuro.com/meet-our-attorneys/michael-s-lieberma...
- Republic Services
- Stanley Black & Decker
- Animal Welfare Institute
- Obtained $2.95 million settlement for beneficiaries in Fairfax County Circuit Court for a wrongful death police shooting, 2015
- Co-authored with Bernard J. DiMuro, this publication covers the law of both attorney fees and sanctions in Federal and Virginia courts. Since this book was first published in 2012, the Virginia Supreme Court has specifically issued at least five important decisions regarding when sanctions are appropriate and have clarified other important areas of when attorney fees are recoverable. In federal court, over the last several years, trial courts have been cracking down on the documentation requirements for granting attorney fees, which are referenced throughout the book, while at the same time the determinations of what constitutes a reasonable fee have fluctuated throughout the various divisions and even with the same districts. The most recent decisions from each District are included. This book also explains the 2015 amendments to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 37(e) regarding spoliation of electronically stored evidence. , Co-author, Attorneys Fees and Sanctions, Virginia CLE, 2016
- Excessive force by state police officials in Volume 20, Number 4 of the 2009 Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association discusses the Fourth Amendment and a citizen's right to be protected against excessive force and how and when that right might be violated, under the law., Author, Excessive force by state police officials, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2009
- Recognized by Best Lawyers of America for Appellate Practice, Best Lawyers List, Best Lawyers in America, 2019
- In conjunction with the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Mr. Lieberman successfully represented a client suffering from multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome., Public Justice Achievement Award, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1995
- Member of the 2015 Class of Virginia Leaders in the Law, Leaders in the Law, Class of 2015, Virginia Lawyers Media, 2015
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023