Brandi B. Balanda
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Seattle, WashingtonSavitt Bruce & Willey LLP
Practice Areas: Business Litigation
Licensed in Washington since: 2015
Education: Boston College Law School
Languages Spoken: English, French
Brandi has wide-ranging experience successfully litigating large, complex cases, from defending a senior executive against the largest trade secret claim asserted in Washington to prosecuting fraud, contract, and fiduciary duty claims related to the financing of major real estate development projects. She is a passionate advocate, driven to achieve outstanding results for her clients through creative problem solving and collaboration. Brandi has resolved disputes in many different forums, – including federal and state trial and appellate courts, administrative agencies, and in arbitration.
Prior to joining Savitt Bruce & Willey, Brandi practiced law in Hawaii at Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher. Brandi graduated from Boston College Law School where she was a member of the 2009 European Law Moot Court team. At the European Law Moot Court Competition in Naples, Italy, she argued in English and French to advance with her team as regional semi-finalists.
Outside the office, Brandi enjoys outdoor adventures, her family, sharing laughs with friends, and cooking experimenting in the kitchen.
First Admitted: 2010, Hawaii
Professional Webpage: https://www.sbwllp.com/our-lawyers/brandi-b-balanda/
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association
- Associate Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Federal Bar Association, Young Lawyers Delegate, Hawaii Chapter
- Vandeveer, et al. v. American Savings Bank. Defended federal savings and loan association against tort, statutory, and equitable claims in putative class action involving overdraft fees and related disclosure issues; filed pre-certification dispositive motion based on federal preemption; obtained favorable settlement while federal preemption appeal was pending.
- Charles et al. v. Kapalua Bay, LLC, et al. Represented approximately forty purchasers of fractional ownership interests in a luxury development prosecuting consumer protection, tort, statutory, and equitable claims against developer, multinational hotel company, and related entities.
- Pasion v. County of Kauai, et al. Represented appointed public official facing retaliation for whistle-blower activities and prosecuted subsequent related employment claims; obtained favorable settlement.
- Health Care Industry Litigation. Prosecuted claims for breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and equitable relief regarding exclusivity clause in PPO contract; obtained favorable settlement.
- Gross, et al. v. University of Hawaii, et al.; University of Hawaii v. Lexington Insurance Company. Defended state university system against putative class action regarding alleged data breaches; favorable settlement obtained after filing motion to dismiss; subsequently litigated claims on behalf of state university system against insurer for related coverage; favorable settlement obtained prior to any discovery.
- Complex Multiparty Real Estate and Finance Litigation. Defended claims against personal guaranty of multi-million dollar revolving construction loan; developed and prosecuted claims for corporate fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract involving approximately $40 million of debt, mezzanine, and equity financed real estate projects; obtained favorable settlement for individual and developer entity clients.
- University of Washington, B.A., International Studies Phi Beta Kappa, 2004
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2009
- Beyond Oso: Understanding, Avoiding, and Mitigating Spoliation Issues, Landslides in Washington CLE Conference, Law Seminars International, Presenter, 2017
- Michele L. Stephen, Brandi B. Balanda, & Ryan Solomon, Provisional Remedies: Washington, Practical Law, us.practicallaw.com/w-000-6380, 2015
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2020