William T. Stuart
Top rated appellate attorney in Milwaukee, WisconsinMeissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols S.C.
Attorney William T. Stuart is a shareholder with Meissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols S.C. law firm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A nationally ranked trial lawyer with more than 25 years of total legal experience, Mr. Stuart provides unmatched and effective legal counsel, advocacy and support to a diverse range of clients across his region who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Business and corporate disputes litigation
- Construction law and construction defects litigation
- Employment disputes and noncompete agreements
- Environmental law and litigation
- Real estate
As a trial lawyer, Mr. Stuart divides his time between general business litigation and real estate litigation, and he has considerable experience handling appeals. In fact, he was able to spur positive changes in the nation's laws regarding governmental land takings in favor of landowners after a favorable, and landmark, ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit.
Along with his extensive trial and appellate experience, Mr. Stuart also deftly handles a variety of business- and real estate-related transactions for his clients, and he has achieved a long record of securing successful outcomes for those he serves efficiently and cost-effectively. He has handled complex real estate transactions involving millions of dollars, and he has advocated on behalf of his clients in disputes ranging from land use to environmental remediation, to contract and construction disputes.
In recognition of his remarkable professionalism and outstanding client service, Mr. Stuart has earned an AV Preeminent* peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell as well as consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America. He has also received perennial designation from his peers as being among the top lawyers in the state.
After graduating cum laude from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1994, Mr. Stuart attended Marquette University Law School, where he obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude in 1997. He also served as editor-in-chief of the Marquette Law Review.
Mr. Stuart is an active member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Wisconsin and the Milwaukee Bar Association, and he has published articles and conducted lectures and seminars throughout his region on a variety of legal topics.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasAppellate, Business/corporate, General litigation, Construction litigation: business, Employment & labor: employee, Environmental
Appeals, Litigation, Construction defects, Employment law - employee, Environmental law
- 30% Appellate
- 20% Business/corporate
- 20% General litigation
- 10% Construction litigation: business
- 10% Employment & labor: employee
- 10% Environmental
First Admitted: 1997, Wisconsin
Professional Webpage: https://www.mtfn.com/attorneys/william-t-stuart/
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® (2010 – 2020); Wisconsin Super Lawyers® Rising Star (2007, 2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell Notable® Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2013 – 2020); Milwaukee Lawyer of the Year® (Real Estate Litigation, 2014, 2018)
- Milwaukee Lawyer of the Year® (Real Estate Litigation, 2014, 2018), Milwaukee Lawyer of the Year - Real Estate Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2018
- Project K-9, Inc., Board Member (2007 to present)
- Marquette High School Trap Team, Coach (2018)
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.A., 1994, cum laude
- American Bar Association; State Bar of Wisconsin; Milwaukee Bar Association; Supreme Court of Wisconsin; United States Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit; United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin; United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- Editor in Chief, MARQUETTE LAW REVIEW, 1996-97; Klitzke Moot Court Competition Winner 1996, Winner of Robert Habush Advocacy Award Scholarship, 1996-97; Woolsack Society Scholar 1996-96; Academic Achievement Award 1995-96; American Jurisprudence Award, Administrative Law; Dean's List.
- Attorney Bill Stuart of Meissner Tierney Fisher & Nichols, a Milwaukee-based law firm discusses the role and importance of title endorsements for business owners when purchasing real estate or leasing a new facility in Wisconsin. Bill covers 5 key title endorsements for buyers to consider, Title Endorsements for Closely Held Businesses in Wisconsin, 2015
- The presentation addressed how to track down the relevant history of your parcel when you have little to no information in your file; identifying title and survey issues that may impact your current or intended uses, and techniques for removing or working around common obstacles, Co-Speaker, Getting Command of the Real Estate Parcel: What Do You Own & What Can/Should You Do With It?, Association of Corporate Counsel Wisconsin, Real Estate, 2020
- The course addressed railroad history and title insurance issues, Speaker, Railroad History and Title Insurance, 2018 WLTA Graduate Course, 2018
- Speaker at the 70th Annual Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors' Institute to address Railroad History and Current Litigation, Speaker, Railroad History and Current Litigation, 70th Annual Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors' Institute, 2018
- Addressed how a case travels through the appellate courts at the state and federal level, Speaker, Appellate Practice in the Real World, Appellate Advocacy Class, Marquette University, 2018
- The presentation highlighted the risks associated with vicarious liability, as well as the issues with indemnity clauses, and noted other surprising aspects of litigating cases in today's digital world, Speaker, 3 Surprising Litigation and Liability Facts That Will Cost You, Apartment Association of Southeastern Wisconsin’s (AASEW) Trade Show, 2017
- The article discussed The U.S. Supreme Court decision on United States v. Brandt, Author, Potential Runaway Train Could Impact Land Rights, Title News Vol. 93, Issue No. 2, P. 17., 2014
- Article discussed Supreme Court Decision on Critical Property Rights Case, Author, Supreme Court to Decide Critical Property Rights Case, State Bar Business Law News, Vol. No. 31, Issue No. 3, p. 8, 2013
- The article discussed shareholders-guarantors ability to pursue derivative claims in collection action, Author, Shareholders-Guarantors Cannot Pursue Derivative Claims in Collection Action, State Bar Business Law News, Vol. No. 31, Issue No. 2, p.6, 2013
- Speech discussed claims involving condominium associations, Speaker, Special Considerations in Disputes Involving Condominium Associations, Who Can Bring What Claims When, State Bar Business and Real Estate Law Institute, 2012
- Speech gave an overview of Montalvo v. Montalvo, Speaker, Update on WLTA Amicus Brief, Montalvo v. Montalvo, Wisconsin Land Title Association Annual Convention, 2012
- Addressed issues related to property rights to abandoned railroad rights of way and related title insurance issues, Speaker, Samuel C. Johnson 1988 Trust v. Bayfield County, Wisconsin, Wisconsin Land Title Association Annual Convention, 2011
- Discussed The Seventh Circuit Court's decision to re-establish a property rights system based on recorded documents and governmental approvals., Author, Switching Tracks: How the Seventh Circuit Restored Certain Landowners’ Rights to Abandoned Railroad Rights-of-Way, Title News, Vol. 90, No. 10, p. 23, 2011
- Speech discussed features of HUD financed transactions, Speaker, Introduction to HUD/FHA Financing For Real Estate Development: Unique Features Of HUD Financed Transactions That Real Estate Lawyers Should Know Before Their Clients Go, State Bar Business and Real Estate Law Institute, 2011
- Covered complex issues in real property law, Speaker, Representing the Closely Held Business: Complex Issues in Real Property Law, State Bar of Wisconsin CLE Seminars, 2010
- Discussed the ministerial exception to the First Amendment, Speaker, Truly Doing God’s Work – Defining Ecclesiastical Job Functions Under the Ministerial Exception to the First Amendment, St. Thomas More Lawyer’s Society of Wisconsin, 2008
- Speech discussed the enforceability of restrictive covenants in real estate law, Speaker, The Enforceability of Restrictive Covenants Against Real Estate, 31st Corporate Practice Institute, 2007
- Presentation went over public records and open meeting in Wisconsin, Speaker, Wisconsin’s Open Meetings Law, Presented during What You Need To Know About Public Records and Open Meetings in Wisconsin, 2003
- Article discussed noncompete agreements as a condition of employment, Co-Author, Can Employers Force Employees To Sign Noncompete Agreements As A Condition Of Their Employment?, Wisconsin Lawyer, Vol. 72, No. 5, 1999
- American Land Title Association
Office location for William T. Stuart
111 East Kilbourn Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2007, 2009
Find me online
- We were pleased to have Shareholders Thomas J. Nichols, Randal J. Brotherhood, and Adam J. Tutaj present "Business… https://t.co/YDtnLKrYye
- Check out our latest article by attorney James M. Sosnoski "What is "Dicta" in Wisconsin's Appellate Courts?".… https://t.co/YjA9LzwUNv
- Join us at the BizTimes Media's Innovation + Entrepreneurship Forum on Thursday, December 8th. This Forum will incl… https://t.co/JJ0rLe8z0E