Russell D. Hunt, Jr.
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Georgetown, TX
Russell D. Hunt, Jr., is the founder of his eponymous firm located in Georgetown, Texas. Focusing his practice exclusively on criminal defense, he provides representation to clients throughout the Austin metropolitan area who have been charged with felonies or misdemeanors, including DUI, drug possession and trafficking, sex crimes, homicide, domestic violence, robbery, assault, and fraud and other white collar crimes.
As an undergraduate, Mr. Hunt studied philosophy at Austin College, from where he received a Bachelor of Arts in 1991. He then pursued his legal education at the University of Texas School of Law, and he spent the fall semester of his third year studying international law at Queen Mary University of London before being awarded his Juris Doctor in 1994. Admitted to practice in Texas, Mr. Hunt is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States. He has been certified as a specialist in criminal law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 2000.
Throughout his career, Mr. Hunt has earned the high regard of his fellow professionals for his track record and superb ethics. This is evidenced by his receipt of an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and his 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo. He is often asked to deliver presentations to groups of criminal defense attorneys on topics ranging from probation revocations to trying a death penalty case. A former member of the board of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Mr. Hunt is active in several other legal organizations, including the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Criminal Defense
- 20%Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence, DUI/DWI, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022
- Understanding and Challenging Inventory Searches (2008) - Presented To ACDLA meeting on May 23rd, 2008.
- Cell Phone Data and Tracking (2016)
About Russell D. Hunt, Jr.
First Admitted: 1994, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.rhjrlaw.com/russ-hunt
- "Legislative Update" Williamson CLDA Lunch Seminar, 2015
- Course Director and Speaker, Capital Defense: Building a Theory of the Case, Austin Bar Association, 2016
- "Challenging and Litigating Inventory Searches" for Austin CDLA Friday Lunch Seminar, 2008
- Lectured on General Voir Dire in Capital cases to approximately 200 capital defenders in Plano, Texas at the Center for American and International Law. Capital Defense College – A Program For The Defense, Speaker, Effective General Voir Dire in Capital Cases, 2018
- "Probation Revocations" for ACDLA "Nuts and Bolts Seminar", 2008
- "Trying a Death Penalty Case" for Williamson CLDA Lunch Seminar, 2014
- Understanding and Challenging Inventory Searches, The Voice, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Magazine, 2009
- "Developing a Theory of the Case" Austin Bar Association/CAPDS Capital Murder Defense Seminar, 2016
- "Challenging and Litigating Inventory Searches" for McLennan CDLA Friday Lunch Seminar, 2009
- Speaker, Cell Phones: privacy, Data and location, Williamson County Bar Association, 2006
- Rated "AV-Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell, 2009
- Named a Texas “Super Lawyer” by Texas Monthly Magazine since 2008
- Secretary, Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2005
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, 1995
- President, Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2006, 2006
- District Courts Liaison, Williamson County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2016
- The State of Texas, 1994
- United States Supreme Court, 1998
- Board Member, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2008
- Founding Board Member and Vice President, Williamson County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2013 - 2014
- Board Member, Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2004
- United States 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1996
- President, Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2006 - 2007
- President, Williamson County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2015
- Studied International Criminal, Environmental and Human Rights Law at the University of Queen Mary and Westerfield in London, England (now the College of Queen Mary at the University of London), 1993
- Austin College, Sherman, Texas, B.A. in Philosophy, 1991
- Board Certified in Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1999
- All Felonies And Misdemeanors
- Criminal Defense
- State And Federal
Last Updated: 5/15/2022